News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Boots that are Heat Shrink

Started by BWhitmore, 2013-12-26 17:39

Previous topic - Next topic

BWhitmore

I was watching an episode of How it's Made where they were showing the production of a dash board for an Indy race car.  On the back of switches, gauges, and other electrical terminals they used a heat shrinkable boot.  I believe they were made by Raytheon. The boots resemble the boot on the back of an alternator (12 volt hot terminal). Never seen them before.  I will do a search and see if I can come up with a source. Neat item.

VwDrvFnd

I saw that as well very neat! would be great for stuff like the starter solenoid and alternator connections.
I have a rust hole in my passanger side inner fender well, It's 58 years old what do you expect?

RICH MUISE

I didn't see the how it's made episode, but heat shrink stuff is great. I recently used some heavy wall (.020) tubing to change the OD of some metric engine heater oulet/return tubes so I could use an aftermarket sae heater hose kit....worked perfect. I just saw some at Lowe's, surprisingly enough. It is in their electrical department, as it is used also to seal undergound electrical pipe joints.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

BWhitmore

Rich - I have not found a source yet, but I may have gotten the name wrong.  I think the correct name is Raychem, not Raytheon.

RICH MUISE

I thought that was a strange product for an electronics company...Are they still around? Last Raytheon I saw was in Mass. years ago.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

BWhitmore

Rich - I think I may have tracked down the company Raychem.  They specialize in heat shrink products.  Their website is not the best so I will try to contact them soon.

Boss/Cyclone

57 Ford two door wagon
67 Shelby GT500 #2100 428, dual quads, 4speed
65 Cyclone drag car, 427, 4speed, ladder bars, etc.
64 Cyclone, Aztec Gold, 289, 4speed
66 Mustang GT fastback 347 5speed 4.22 gears
69 Mustang GT convertible 351 auto

BWhitmore

That's them.  Thanks.  I believe they also have angled boots that heat shrink.