News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Need info for 302/AOD installation.

Started by Ron, 2014-01-03 22:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron

I've got a 302 and the AOD that came with it out of a 1985 T-bird that I want to install in my '57 Tudor Ranch Wagon.  Will I have to fabricate the motor mounts, or is there an easier path to take, such as an after-market kit, etc.?  And will I have to modify my oil pan, or buy a different one, to clear the manual steering center link on the wagon?  Many thanks for any ideas or suggestions.  Ron...

Wirenut

You will need to change out the oil pan to a front sump, the timing cover will need to be replaced or drilled to accept the dip stick for the front sump. The motor mounts you will need to use are from a late 60's Ford 289 or 302. I used a set of mounts from a mustang and modified the 57's original mounting points by reinforcing them and boxing them in. The problem with this method is you end up with one mounting bolt into the mount instead of two. If I were to do it again I would go with an aftermarket kit or research additional mounts due to the fact my motor ended up with more room between the firewall and the engine. I could move it back 1.5 to 2 inches and have a little more room up front for radiator and fan clearances. Header clearance is an issue unless you raise the block more than I did. I am having to use block hugger headers (this may be an issue no matter what due to the stock suspension). The stock cast iron manifolds will not be an issue if you use them. I am happy with the install and did have clearance for rack and pinion steering with the way I went but could of had more clearance than I do if I had researched a bit more. The transmission mount was off so I welded in the cross member from a 86 ford. I might could have used the original cross member and adapted the mount but since I had the body off of the frame it was easy to replace the complete assembly. That was my experience, there may be others that will share their experiences with some better mount conversions than mine. Good luck with your conversion..

Frankenstein57

As wirenut said the fox mustang mounts work with a little slotting of the frame pads, the stock ford headers are a bolt in, also fox mustang. I used a continental trans cross member as it has the humps for exhaust clearance. This requires some cutting and welding. I would guess you could get the stock cross member to work. Someone will have to chime in on the AOD clearance to the tunnel, the T-5 manual needs some alteration of the tunnel. I think the 302 is one of the easier swaps into this car, I have a 302 front sump pan if you need one, Mark

lukey

I just did this swap. I used 84 mustang mounts, the aod has a 91 stang mount and fits fine. I had to take a drill and widen the trans crossmember mount holes just a little. The aod is tight in the tunnel, but it doesn't hit anywhere. The thing to remember is the 5.0 mounts can be swapped side to side which moves the motor forward or backward about 1.5". U want the motor forward and trans mount lines up. You do need a front sump pan. Pm me if you want photos of the swap. I can also make u a parts list. I also hooked my aod to the column shifter.

lukey

I will throw out there, my car was a 223...may be different if yours was a y block originally.

RICH MUISE

Someone else can chime in here, but to my knowledge, the crossmembers on all '57's were the same regardless of what motor/tranny it left the factory with. Radiator position was different 6 to 8
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2014-02-16 21:13
Someone else can chime in here, but to my knowledge, the crossmembers on all '57's were the same regardless of what motor/tranny it left the factory with. Radiator position was different 6 to 8
Rich

That is correct.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Ron

Many thanks for all this great info, everyone!  Ron

MeanGene

A slight spin on it- my Sedan Delivery has the original 223/treeonnatree like lukey's. I also have my complete '88 Lincoln MKVII LSC that my ex-gf modified into a minivan- still runs and functions, and has the 5.0HO/AOD, 4WD brakes, rearend has a little lower gears than a regular MKVII, and IIRC it has a limited slip. Power rack and such for maybe's. The LSC has shorty headers, supposedly a little different than the Mustang's, tucked up tighter which I would hope is good, are the engine mounts the same in the LSC? I have a front-sump pan, and the LSC setup has the AC setup, PS setup etc., and I also have a complete disc brake/spindle'PS setup from a 70 Mustang to consider, as well as a manual Pinto-type rack- so lots of possibilities. Seems like the LSC 5.0HO/AOD setup would be a winner, no? It also has very nice electric buckets with lumbar supports etc, and I could probably fit in the console with shifter for the AOD

gasman826

I've been studying this swap into my wagon.  The '64 Ford came from the factory with the 289 option.  Since the '64 frame is extremely similar to the '57, I'm looking into a set of these mounts.  Anybody heard of this option?

hiball3985

Quote from: gasman826 on 2014-09-22 18:13
I've been studying this swap into my wagon.  The '64 Ford came from the factory with the 289 option.  Since the '64 frame is extremely similar to the '57, I'm looking into a set of these mounts.  Anybody heard of this option?
I've never heard of a 289 option in the full size 64 Galaxie that I know of, they were in mid sized Fairlanes and Falcons. The 289 was an option or standard in 65 but then the whole chassis was changed and the mounts. There are after market mounts to put a 289 in the 57-64's I believe..I drove one 65 with a 289, what a dog!!!
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ford Blue blood

Yup...the 289 was available in the full sized 63s as well.  First year for that.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

hiball3985

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2014-09-23 21:38
Yup...the 289 was available in the full sized 63s as well.  First year for that.
Thats interesting, I had never seen one or maybe I was distracted by the 427 models  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ford Blue blood

They pop up on ebay from time to time.  Ford dropped the 292 from the passenger car line in MY 63 (it was in the trucks through MY 64), I believe the 289 was the "replacement" small V-8.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

57chero

My stepson bought a 64 galaxie 500 2dr. hardtop  recently and it has a factory installed 289.