News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

New To Me Del Rio Semi-Rodded Goal is to Return to Stock

Started by Awca12a, 2014-01-14 07:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Awca12a

This car is all over the Internet having been auctioned and traded a few times.  At one point had large iron cross stickers as part of a 68' retro restoration.  Needs interior, paint and all of the jewelry restored.  In hindsight probably paid too much but the frame is solid.  Anyone who has gone thru the interior restoration and has suggestions on a fair source would be appreciated.  Figure I do the inside first, then the body. 

Ford Blue blood

Welcome aboard.  Seen that one out there, looks nice and solid.  I would let the interior be until the rest is finished.  Never know what will be found and it is hard on the interior parts to be put in - taken out - put in - taken out.....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

rmk57

How stock? you'll have to find a y-block of some sort instead of the 302 that's in it.
Looks nice from the outside.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

57 Ford Kustom

Welcome to the sight! I really like the color combo.
Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

Limey57

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2014-01-14 07:42
Welcome aboard.  Seen that one out there, looks nice and solid.  I would let the interior be until the rest is finished.  Never know what will be found and it is hard on the interior parts to be put in - taken out - put in - taken out.....

X2.  A stray welding/grinding spark can cause a whole load of damage.........
Gary

1957 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

What Bill said. I'd hold off long enough so you know exactly what you have there. Welcome to the forum, btw. That is a beautiful wagon. Upholstery search should start with Lebarron Bonney from all reports.
What Bill was refering to, is to make sure the underside of the body is solid, or that any past repairs to floorboards, floor supports, etc that may have been done were done correctly. Unfortunatly, it is really hard to tell what's under the nice paint until you get under it. Extensive bodywork and painting is really risky at best with a new interior installed, and imposible on underbody work.
While you're checking stuff, look at the rubber cowl drains to make sure they have been replaced.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Awca12a

Good advice.  Was hoping to ride the exterior for a few years as I've heard sad stories about what you find when the paint is lifted.  Figured I'd leave the Hurst floor shifter despite not being stock and the engine is very clean leaving me with the trim as the first major project.  Truly, I didn't know enough to realize it didn't belong in there.  I simply fell for the 2 door with the clamshell rear. 

My other 57 Ford is a Fire Truck but I figured that was too out of the mainstream to post pictures of.

RICH MUISE

Don't think I've ever seen a '57 Ford fire truck...post away if you would. funny, today at my sandblaster's place I was looking at a '61 Chev. fire truck with just 9K miles and a 348.

electricalan

Nice rig,I do believe I saw it out there also.I like the idea of getting some of that original stuff back in.I plan on my Ranchero Being 85-90 percent original.That way you can still see the old girl,but are free to add creature comforts or performance/reliability.I think you should drive that baby the way she sits while you research what you want,make a plan,and save the cash.If you love the rig and dont need to sell it,then you did not pat too much.Them dogs are getting pretty hard to come by.Welcome aboard,the guys on this site can really help.Have fun and best of luck.   Al
Returning from a long hibernation!!!

Awca12a

F600

RICH MUISE

Love that truck...I don't know what it is about firetrucks, but they sure are neat. Thanks for posting. Your Dalmation is missing a few spots though.

robhaerr

Cool wagon...302 with a 4-speed. Looks like many mechanical mods...disc brakes? Steering changed?

Mucho work to get back to stock. I like the floor shifter. Stock would be column shift 3-speed, right?

Of course, the VIN would tell you what engine/ tranny/color the car was originally. See this for VIN info...
http://1957ford.com/asp/gallery.aspx?catmstrid=7&catdetid=29

I was really looking for a 2-door Ranch Wagon with a manual tranny when I found my 4-door Country Sedan. Price was right for me and also a good foundation with interior and paint finished. I made it more driveable by swapping motors to a 302 (from a Chevy 350...just wrong), C-4 trans (wish I had done an AOD), rack and pinion steering, front power disk brakes, and front and rear sway bars.

Short video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj-5odSvX7E

Have fun!

Highly recommended is aftermarket front and rear anti-sway bars if it doesn't have them. A station wagon that drives like a slot car is pretty fun! Look for the thread(s).

I like tasteful resto-mods. Maybe go to a more stock paint scheme, steel wheels with baby moons, slight stance for a real "sleeper hot rod" (lower the front end a tad with Aerostar springs-see thread)...love that!

But...your mileage may vary!
Rob

Awca12a

Thank You for the suggestions above.   I've followed them.

On the M715 (military truck) site I follow, we normally post updates to renovations so people can see the progress of a mess and get feedback suggestions along the way.  Following that method....

This car has a good foundation with no rust I can see, a working 1965 Galaxy engine, rear end from some unknown source and original glass.  Everything else is shot, wrong or missing. 

Was going to sell and cut my losses but once I drove it, even before needing the control arms, springs, shocks, brakes and who knows what else, I fell in love with the 57 all over again.  So, going to ignore the lessons I learned once before on a 67 and fix this one.

Based on the above, the LeBaron interior will wait till last. 
Will collect the jewelry in the meantime. 

Traced the engine problems to a gelled fuel tank so a steam clean and recoated interior later, we are gtg.   Fortunately, the new gas sending unit was available online. Unfortunately, it seems the dashboard gauge is reading 50 pct. so a bad resistor perhaps?

Found an 80yr old guy who recognized the carb, rebuilt it properly, twice (before the gas tank was identified as a problem) and the car purrs.  So now I know to be on the lookout for non stock parts.

Windshield wiper was replaced with a period electric unit at some point but the cable is shot.   Going to have to think creatively on that one.

Still looking for a proper stock photo of the dashboard as I don't know what was supposed to be there.   

Prior owner painted the interior and put carpeting on the doors.  Yes, they did.
Did these come with padded dashboards or was that an add on?

If this running dialogue is not ok on this board, just let me know.   
All the car boards have very different cultures ant this is my first true mess.

RICH MUISE

First...absolutly no problem with the "running dialog"..this is a forum for one year of one manufacturer, therefore it is hard as you can imagine to keep coming up with new topics. With that in mind, we like the details, the pics, the problems, etc..and you won't run into a lot of  ...."use the search feature, Bud" here..LOL we need the redundantcy!
Padded dashes....they were an option on '57's, so your's may have had the painted steel, a factory padded option, or one added on a later time. The factory padded dashes had chrome trim pieces....maybe someone can provide a pic.
electric wipers...I recall a number of guys saying they were able to use the factory '57 oem wiper cable with their new electric motor..so yours may be one of those. I do believe the cable is available as a repop.
Keep us posted with updates, questions, answers, etc.!

hiball3985

Yes, do keep us updated. I have to ask where you found the fuel tank sending unit? I've looked everywhere and can't find one. I was able to take mine apart and clean it and got it working but I would prefer a new one
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang