News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

New To Me Del Rio Semi-Rodded Goal is to Return to Stock

Started by Awca12a, 2014-01-14 07:22

Previous topic - Next topic

djfordmanjack

great you got this Rio. I had been talking to James, the owner, for quite some time, and either at one time I had too little money, or then he wouldn't sell. Yes it is a bit messy here and there, but it is an original 312 manual trans Del RIO, black/white with white/red vinyl interior !!!! Hope you will restore it properly and have lots of fun with it. still a beautiful ride !
oh yes, please take off the B pillar trim, it is from a 56 parklane and doesn't fit the 57 at all, looks very strange and out of place. I also might want to lose the rocker trim, but of course it's your car. I just had figured out what to do because I really wanted to buy it.

Awca12a

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2014-04-14 08:51
Yes, do keep us updated. I have to ask where you found the fuel tank sending unit? I've looked everywhere and can't find one. I was able to take mine apart and clean it and got it working but I would prefer a new one

I found mine at this site:
http://www.wheelstiresandmore.com/c-3415-fuel-sender-assemblies_ford-delriowagon.aspx

It only registers half at full but I can't confirm that the gauge is working properly.  The part was an exact replacement.

hiball3985

Quote from: Awca12a on 2014-04-15 06:43
I found mine at this site:
http://www.wheelstiresandmore.com/c-3415-fuel-sender-assemblies_ford-delriowagon.aspx

It only registers half at full but I can't confirm that the gauge is working properly.  The part was an exact replacement.
Thank you for that info. If it helps you can remove the wire from the sending unit and use a jumper wire from that wire to a good ground, the gas gauge should then go to full, if it doesn't the gauge could be bad, if it does the problem is with the sending unit.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Awca12a

So this is the part where I ask for feedback and suggestions.
The Engine is coded C1545A  6H22A which a supplier suggested is a 1965 Galaxy.
The Rear End is unknown but coded WCC-VI  79 7GC 930.

The VIN Plate says it should have a "D" engine which is a 312.
My guess is that sometime in the 1960's the owner pulled the big engine, transmission and rear-end and replaced it with what is there currently perhaps because it was blown.

What would be the rationale to put the car back to the original engine & drivetrain as I imagine the cost to do so would far exceed the value of the vehicle once assembled?
Any suggestions on where to find such a drivetrain if in a moment of weakness I decided to do so?

Thoughts?

RICH MUISE

One of the neat things about this forum, is all the different approaches taken on our '57's. For the most part, everybody gets along real well as far as those differences, lol, the original restoration guys give us resto-moders a hard time once in a while, but that's ok. The bottom line on your question about the rational behind restoring the drivetrain is....this is our hobby, as far as expense goes, rational is pretty much out the window as almost everybody that does a build is upside down on it. I'm sure you know it's not a '57 Ford problem, but a car hobby problem in general. So the bottom line is you'll get a variety of answers with what you should do with the drivetrain, but the best way to go is whatever makes you happy.
A comment about a previous post you did mentioning you've heard the horror stories about what hides under paint. That certainly is true in probably the majority of restoration...it was the case on mine. However, you may luck out..Bob/57Agin a few years back noticed a rust bubble on his '57 Custom 300. It was a car he had purchased already painted and drove it for many years before the bubble appeared. Bob decided to do a major paint/interior/ton of other upgrades and figured he had better have the car totally stripped of it's otherwise sound paint so he would know for sure what was under the paint he couldn't see. As it turns out, that small rust spot was the only place on the entire car! But, he now sure has the peace of mind knowing that.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

robhaerr

My wagon had a Chevy 350 in it when I bought and a totally frankensteined steering.

A friend had a Ford 302 and offered to make it a fun project to rebuild, and this forum influenced me to go towards the ST Fabrications rack and pinion, plus front and rear sway bars.

Mine is a restomod...and I couldn't have enjoyed the engine build-and-swap process more! Far from perfect, however.

I have a rust bubble or two, the glass could be changed out...but my pockets are very shallow and cannot do the full resto on the paint at this point. A/C would be nice (could bake a pizza in the summer in these wagons!), working windshield wipers would be good, next is to get the speedo and fuel gauge working.

It's all about what makes you happy...but you will probably never be satisfied!

Here is the latest video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj-5odSvX7E

Cheers!
Rob

Awca12a

robhaerr - That was an inspiring video and I really like the dash without the pad that's on mine.   You have the 302 but have enhanced it which to me makes so much sense.  Modified but kept to its roots.  Thanks for sharing.   I guess the Dodge really will be going now because I can see I'll be upside down yet again.

robhaerr

RICH MUISE

LOL...Rob kinda made a good point....do what makes you happy, but whatever that ends up being, don't put a CH$#Y 350 in it!!...the Ford Gods will get ya!

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2014-04-16 15:09
LOL...Rob kinda made a good point....do what makes you happy, but whatever that ends up being, don't put a CH$#Y 350 in it!!...the Ford Gods will get ya!

Try putting a Ford in a Chevy....... :005:
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Awca12a

After much internet searching for the correct shocks on the Del Rio without a conclusive reliable answer, NAPA came-through with a physical match.
The #94019 and #94002 were in stock and delivered next day.

The rubber bushings on the stabilizer bar were gone so a call to Macs Auto (www.macsauto.com) (part #B7A-5493-BKT) for $25.95 should set things right when they arrive.

Front springs were riding on blocks and a call to Eaton Detroit Spring (www.eatondetroitspring.com) yielded new springs plus insulator 3-days after placing the order.
The shop installed the right side in about 2-hours.
Sadly, the driver lower control arm is shot so everything is waiting, again, for the right parts to show-up.
Some things I'm just not qualified to even try to hack away at.

I received the car in December and it hasn't gone more than 1/4 mile since then but I'm hoping to see how it drives sometime in late May.

Most importantly, I've decided it will be a custom/stock restoration with a proper 312 containing as much horsepower as I can figure out how to put into it, a period interior with as many interesting options as could have gone in by 1965, and a transitional exterior while keeping the Hurst floor shifter.

Awca12a

Took a while but finally have it back in my driveway after the local shop found a guy who is older than the car able/willing to do a full and proper alignment on the wagon after it got new springs, shocks, torsion bar bushings, lower control arm, ball joints, the works.  Figure after a couple of weeks the front will settle down more but just turning the key and hearing the loud strong engine was worth it all. 

Not sure if the new sender is bad, the guage is off or was sold a bill of goods but you have to interpret the gas gauge.   Since the old sender had rusted away, I'll have to work with what I have. 

LeBarron Bonney sells a reproduction interior which I think is a better use of funds than pulling a working engine.   Plan to shake it down for a couple of weeks before making the next move.

RICH MUISE

Great progress....I totally agree..as long as you have a strong running engine, let it be for a while until you get the rest of the problems ironed out. Thanks for keeping us posted.

BWhitmore

John Wolf Instruments rebuilds gas tank sending units.  He rebuilt the sending unit in my Ranchero(not reproduced) and it worked great.  The company is in Ohio. 

hiball3985

Quote from: Awca12a on 2014-06-09 20:56

Not sure if the new sender is bad, the guage is off or was sold a bill of goods but you have to interpret the gas gauge.   Since the old sender had rusted away, I'll have to work with what I have. 

I took a chance and ordered one of the sending units from the link you provided as that was the only place I have seen that has them. It was a total waste of money, I had to file a notch in part of it to even fit the tank correctly, the arc that the arm travels is not like the original and I had to bend the arm to approximate the same arc and the gauge still doesn't read correctly ( I know the gauge is good ). I've had it out a dozen times trying to fix the problem. What was strange was the shipping in voice was from them but the actual invoice for the part was from NAPA, possibly the bought up some old Napa stock at on time?

Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not blaming you in any way. I just wanted to post this for other peoples information.

Glad you got your 57 running.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang