News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

New To Me Del Rio Semi-Rodded Goal is to Return to Stock

Started by Awca12a, 2014-01-14 07:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Awca12a

Been a while since I updated.   New control arms, sway bushings, shocks and springs are in and had them sized for a future 312. The thing holds the road perfectly now that it is aligned.   Found a shop near Charlotte who will strip it down, take the paint to metal and reassemble this coming winter.   Very fair pricing by the hour and their work seems excellent.   Plan to go Black upper and either ford cream or 2012 Hundai grey.

So after two days at Hershey, I've discovered that nobody has Restoration parts for the wagon so I'm doing it the usual way, one table at a time.   Good thing about being here is that the window channel guys have all their stuff on display so getting the right items for the slide windows will be easier than I projected. 

One vendor even has a used but complete ranch exterior wagon trim set; but of course, the Del Rio was special even with that so I walked on to the next booth.  Easily found missing trim pieces but will wait till next year to pick up the interior door hardware after the paint job.

Best of all, one vendor has a correct 312 he will be pulling and rebuilding this winter so I grabbed his card.  Who knows.  Perhaps next year he will bring the engine.

Awca12a

So I've finally gotten the Del Rio mechanically in great shape leaving the bodywork to be done.
That said, I've had to make a choice between three vehicles that need work and the '57 is going to be sold.
As soon as I get organized, it's going to be listed on Craigslist in NY for sale.
Car needs someone comfortable with doing the body work to sand & paint, replace the side glass, weatherstripping, etc before redoing the interior.

Keeping the '57 Ford firetruck now that the restoration is complete.

Figure I'd post here first as this thread documents fairly accurately everything I know about the vehicle in case a member on this site is interested in the car.
Looking to get $15,000 for the car now that it's running reliably.

Awca12a

The car is off the market and has been sent to NC to be blasted & painted in what will be a frame-on restoration.   New window glass for the sides, restoration of the interior but keeping the "attitude" with the wheels and graphics.   Hope to post finished pictures sometime July 2016 or so.   Will pick-up the missing parts at Hershey this October and let the body experts do their job so I can install the interior and glass.

It will remain a driver that gets used in the winter snow but I forsee disk brakes for safety.

In the meantime, the 1964 Galaxy Mayberry police car will have to do for this winter.

junior58

Would this one be a candidate for a move to the build thread, will be keen to follow progress.
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

Awca12a

Hershey has been outstanding as expected.  Found the parts for the police car across five booths but when it came to the Del Rio, I only scored the horn ring ($20).  Never found the steering wheel so that will be a hunt for the winter unless someone reading this has one they want to sell.   That said, I did make half a dozen good contacts for parts so hopefully I can round out whats missing by UPS.  Saw one 1956/7 (don't remember) 4-door Ranch Wagon being sold in the car corral ($42,000) and one 1957 in the Chocolate field.  An owner gave me the contact for a close reproduction of the material on the back of the 3rd row seat.  I'll post a contact listing from this show in a later post along with my take on what I found out about them.  Ford hubcaps  were everywhere for $45-$120/set and I found every logo piece except the rear door pull.  Jacks were easy to find as was door hardware but no door skins. 

But first need to get it disassembled.