News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Installing Rear Disc Brakes on a Custom 300

Started by 57AGIN, 2014-01-31 01:40

Previous topic - Next topic

57AGIN

Rick and I had put off starting my next project (installing rear disc brakes on my 57 until last years show season was concluded. We started this job on January 11, 2014 and finished yesterday.  57 AGIN is back on the road again and I took quite a few photos during the process.  After having the car painted and the engine compartment detailed & the under carriage/frame cleaned and painted back to the rear of the transmission in 2012-early 13, the rear of the under carriage, suspension, frame and differential still needed to be done.  This thread will detail with photos what we did.  It wasn't difficult for someone with decent mechanical skills (Rick) and a helper/gofer (me). 

This first series of photos show the rear disc brake large bearing kit furnished by ABS Power Brakes in Orange, CA., the instructions and the first steps in the disassembly process.

Bob
57 AGIN

57AGIN

The next steps in the process were to measure the rear disc brake mounting hardware supplied and the mounting spacing on the axles.  We then removed the axle and tried fitting the new mounting onto the differential housing.  Naturally, it didn't fit as I then found out that I have the "small" bearing 9" Ford rear end.  So I took the entire disc brake kit back to ABS and they said the only thing required was to exchange the large bearing mount for the small bearing mount, no big deal and best of all no charge, even though I bought the kit over a year ago. Apparently the large bearing Fords were in the Ranchero's and Station wagons and the rest of the regular car models had small bearing rear ends.  Rick's was a large bearing rear end because he had upgraded his 57 Tudor to a high performance Currie setup.  Live and learn.

Bob
57 AGIN

57AGIN

The next series of photos show some of the remaining disassembly process. Unbolting the drive shaft, the traction bars and the rear springs.

57AGIN

These photos show the differential and rear half of the exhaust system removed and ready for cleanup, the dirty fuel filter just outside the gas tank and the under carriage/frame ready to be cleaned & painted.

57AGIN

These photos are of the masking off of the car, the Rustoleum Red Oxide primer painted on the traction bars & rear leaf springs and the rear end suspension miscellaneous components awaiting the Red Oxide treatment.  Each part, the frame and under carriage got thoroughly cleaned, then painted with 2 coats of the Red Oxide Primer followed by 2 coats of Rustoleum Black Satin.  The traction bars and differential also got coated with some Rustoleum Clear.  Lots of rattle cans & trips to Home Depot.  The final photo shows the rear end reassembled and ready for installing the new rear disc brakes.

57AGIN

These last 3 photos show the rear rotor with its caliper installed, the brake line hooked up and ready to be bled (Note: the shock is still not attached as we needed room to work on the brake & brake line install).  The final photo is the under side of the car setting in the garage with everything reinstalled.  The one photo I didn't get was the installation of the new emergency brake cables being installed.  Yes, you can't use the old drum brake cables without extensive modifications (which Rick had done on his 57).  ABS Power Brakes referred me to Control Cables, located in Santa Fe Springs, CA, who after taking the measurements we supplied to them made new cables with the proper ends to use on both ends.  The cost for the new e-brake cables was $84.  The 88 T-Bird rear disc brake setup sold by ABS Power Brakes set me back $540, the new rear axle bearings I needed to order from Strange Eng. to use on my Strange 31 spline axles was another $78.  Then there was the cost of a bunch of Rustoleum rattle cans of primer and paint.  But the car now has been completely redone underneath, and has completely modern 4 wheel disc brakes.  Best of all the brakes are all Ford products, Kelsey-Hayes 67 Mustang brakes up front and 88 T-Bird brakes on the rear.  All of this is done before the first show of the season this Sunday at the HillCo Fasteners Super Cruise.

Bob
57 AGIN

Frankenstein57

gasman826

Nice job!  I noticed Stange SS axles have no flange nut access hole.  Mine have an access hole but it does NOT align with the flange nut pattern.  Just an FYI for members considering aftermarket axles...ask for the access hole to be drilled to align with your flange nut bolt pattern.

57tudor

I have the Currie Severe Duty Lg Bearing axles with no holes. With the proper tools, it is easy to run the nuts down and tighten them, with the right tools!