News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

New Member - Swap Question 428 cj

Started by DOUG MCLESTER, 2014-02-15 12:07

Previous topic - Next topic

DOUG MCLESTER

Hello, I am a new guy to the forum - need some guidance.

I have a 57 ford custom 300. I am the third owner. I am installing what I believe to be a 1966 428 cj motor in it and need LOTS of advice.

For example:
- What donor car to get my pullys, water pump, alternator, air cleaner, and brackets from?

My goal is to make everything under the hood look like it came straight from the factory.  No billet, all factory metal pullys and so forth.

Please feel free to contact me directly on my email at anytime: dmclester@frontier.com

robhaerr

Nice car!

I got nuthin' for your question, however.

Keep us posted with photos, video...and a burnout.

Rob

wildhog

To be very period correct I would use accy's from 58-59 332-352 engines. Most of the brackets were very close up into the late 60's and into the mid 70.s on pick up motors,
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

RICH MUISE

I can't add anything to the answer Tom (Wildhog) gave you, but wanted to welcome you to the forum. Nice solid looking car, and very pleasing to the eye. Have you had it long?
Did want to jump in with one  suggestion...while you have the front end off, get some new draintubes put on the cowl drains.I see your's are decayed. You've probably read this a dozen times on this forum, but they're the biggest reason for the enevitable rotted floor pans in our '57's. Once again, welcome..glad to have you with us.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Frankenstein57

Nice car Doug,  one thing you will need to research is exhaust manifolds/ headers. If you are going for the stock look, not to many cast iron manifolds fit this combo. The flat truck manifolds fit, not much else. I had a set of 406 cast shortys in a dirt car, but it started life as a 58, the steering box is different which might be the reason they fit. I have a set from a 69 GT390, anyone try them? Welcome, Mark

jwtdvm

First off there is no such thing as a 66 428 CJ----1966 428 yes---If you are new to the FE ford engine series then beware as every other 428 seems to be a CJ according to the seller--anyway a 390/352/427/428 and 332 all share same block dimensions--everything bolts up between them--early FE thru 64 had generators instead of alternators---can cause problem if using an early water pump with a 65 and later alternator setup---the bosses on the pump slightly different--I believe a 57 6 cylinder motor mount turned around backwards is a 58 and up FE mount  so easy to bolt in---exhaust can be limited---restrictive stock exhaust logs work and hedman and hooker make headers--FPA I belive does as well--the 57 steering box is little larger and 58 box makes things easier---any galaxie box up to 64 is an improvement but you will need the corresponding column--My 57 has a 62 box and column-any box from 60-64 will work with any column from 60-64--just need to match up your pullies--really any year will work but sometimes cant mix water pump and crank pullies from different years but hey-sometimes you can. Original radiators in good shape should work well for most any FE---(now a 12.1 compression 427 hi rise maybe not but hey we would all like to have that problem) toploader 4 speed bolts right up--the fairlane 4 speed probably puts shifter in better spot than galaxie box--but that is good because lots more fairlane/mustang 4 speeds out there---do be aware that small block transmission might need to have input shaft shortened about an inch but often it is not needed--just mock it up and measure--it is an easy and gratifying swap 

canadian_ranchero

remember the 428 is externally balanced the rest of the FE's are internally balanced.make sure you have the right flywheel and harmonic balancer. 

JPotter57

Good looking Ford, and cool choice on the power.  Keep us updated with photos.  Like Tom above said, use 58 332/352 pulleys and stuff.  You will have to use a 64 or 65 Alternator bracket set, as earlier stuff had generator.  Of course, truck brackets will work too, that's what i have used in the past.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Ford Blue blood

He may have a 66 390 GT engine.  335HP, used the staggered bolt pattern exhaust manifolds like the 428 CJs did, cam specs or very close to the same.  Nice engine.  Put one in my 63 1/2 Galaxie after the stock Z code got trashed by my brother while I was in Nam.  With a 4 speed and 3:89 T-lock from the factory the 66 engine with headers and an aftermarket intake ran solid 14.10s all day long. 
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

lowrider

Nice car. Not much to add here other than to agree with jwtdvm that every other FE seems to be a 428CJ. Almost as bad as every yblock seems to be a 312. I agree with the trans info also. You need one where the shifter bolts as close to the front of the tailshaft you can find. Like FordBlueBlood, I had a 63 1/2 Ford with a 68 390 gt engine in mine after I blew up the 406 in it. 427 heads, 2x4s, big cam, T10 4sp & 4:56 gear. My best time was 13:17. Man that car was fun.

Capt997

Nice ride.  If period correct is what you're after, Powermaster Performance has a one wire alternator with the look of a generator, part #82101.  It's $369 for the 60 amp and $389 for the 90 amp from Summit for the painted model.     The FE's I have in both my 57s are the flat log style, I was told the one motor came from an early 60's T-Bird so that's probably where the manifolds came from.   You may want to check out FordFe.com on the network 54 site for more info on the motor and brackets.

Ford Blue blood

Nothing wrong with the stock log manifolds for street use.  A few years ago Street Rodder did a bunch of builds using early engines.  The FEs were one of those builds.  For that series they built three 390s.  One was completely stock except for the 9.5 pistons, one was hopped up street and the third was all out race.  The T-Bird "Z" motor was rated at 300 HP from the factory with the log manifolds.  The stock motor they built put out just over 300 HP on pump hi-test.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II