News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

fiberglass fenders

Started by 57FordAltered, 2008-01-10 12:32

Previous topic - Next topic

57FordAltered

Does any one know where to get them? 57' Ford :006: :deadhorse:

57tudor

wv 57s forever

i have a set that i would sell but im all the way across the country

JPotter57

I bought a set of these from Showcars a couple years ago.  Unless he has gotten a lot better since then, I would not buy anything from them.  I bought $2000 woth of stuff from them, and ended up junking some of it.  I sold the fenders to a friend of mine, both of them for less than what I paid for one of them.  I paid 250 each for them, they just needed more work than I wanted to put in them.  I already had another set of 40 year old fenders that needed less work, so I used them.  The cowl hood I bought sucked also.  It was an ill-fitting piece, not square, warped diagonal, would not lie flat.  I finally put hood pins on the back to help it.  Had to slot the holes in my hinges.  I wish I had kept the flat stock hood that I bought from Crites.   I hate to bag on these guys so much, but after he took my $2000, I was stuck with a lot of junk I couldnt or wouldnt use.  The fiberglass front bumper is the only part I bought that looked ok.  The trunklid was uneven, had dents(didnt get his part straight before making a mold), and was very, very thick, almost 1/2 inch thick in some places.  It took me about a week to get that thing thinned out so it was lighter than the stock steel piece.  Besides all the really bad stuff, there were air pockets and holes galore.  If I can help save someone else from spending a lot of cash on junk I will.  Now, on the other hand, another friend of mine bought a one piece front end from them, and the finished part looks pretty good on his car.  I dont know what it took to get there, though.  I guess, what it all boils down to, is how much work on new parts are you willing to do to make it look good?
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

JPotter57

Quote from: wv 57s forever on 2008-01-10 20:52
i have a set that i would sell but im all the way across the country
If Al doesnt want them, what do you want for them Allan?  I was in Tennessee for Christmas, but most of my family was sick for most of the time we were there, so I couldnt come up.   I planned to pick them up, but couldnt make it...
Old, loud, and fast.

Glen Henderson

Check out Richard Earle's Suncoast Race Cars. They have bolt on parts for our 57's, I have never seen the parts, but I have talked with them. A little pricey, but looks like a good company and should be a good product. Sure wish I could afford there doorslammer 57 body and chassis.

wv 57s forever

James sorry to here about sickness in your family hope everone is better, i talked to you about them first and your still welcome to them.

JPotter57

Give me a call Allan, I hope to be going to Columbus to the Spring Swap, so maybe we can meet up and deal on the fenders....otherwise, I may just have to plan a road trip by myself, lol.
Old, loud, and fast.

57FordAltered

Quote from: JPotter57 on 2008-01-10 21:29
I bought a set of these from Showcars a couple years ago.  Unless he has gotten a lot better since then, I would not buy anything from them.  I bought $2000 woth of stuff from them, and ended up junking some of it.  I sold the fenders to a friend of mine, both of them for less than what I paid for one of them.  I paid 250 each for them, they just needed more work than I wanted to put in them.  I already had another set of 40 year old fenders that needed less work, so I used them.  The cowl hood I bought sucked also.  It was an ill-fitting piece, not square, warped diagonal, would not lie flat.  I finally put hood pins on the back to help it.  Had to slot the holes in my hinges.  I wish I had kept the flat stock hood that I bought from Crites.   I hate to bag on these guys so much, but after he took my $2000, I was stuck with a lot of junk I couldnt or wouldnt use.  The fiberglass front bumper is the only part I bought that looked ok.  The trunklid was uneven, had dents(didnt get his part straight before making a mold), and was very, very thick, almost 1/2 inch thick in some places.  It took me about a week to get that thing thinned out so it was lighter than the stock steel piece.  Besides all the really bad stuff, there were air pockets and holes galore.  If I can help save someone else from spending a lot of cash on junk I will.  Now, on the other hand, another friend of mine bought a one piece front end from them, and the finished part looks pretty good on his car.  I dont know what it took to get there, though.  I guess, what it all boils down to, is how much work on new parts are you willing to do to make it look good?
Ya I delt with show cars too. I think I gave them $2,700 bucks! I think I was the first one for '57 Ford parts,it took 2 years.I had to finally send them doors,and a deck lid,so they could build molds.The doors turned out good.They built me 2 deck lids,1 skin,and 1 stock(witch is for sale)and this stuff turned out OK.But the 1 piece front end was a little wrapped.But I have to agree there stuff is pretty ruff,and they are hard to deal with.My parts went on my Drag car,I do'nt think there stuff would work very good for show,and they call themselves---Show Cars????