News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Size of cavalier rack hose fittings

Started by RICH MUISE, 2014-02-27 19:52

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Well, I can't find the info sheets I got with the ST Fabrications r&p, and the website is down. Does anybody know the fitting sizes for the supply and return lines? I need to get my materials ordered.
Thanks, Rich
update...I kinda worked backwards on this...looked up hoses for 88-94 Cavalier rack and it appears the fittings are 16MM and 18MM, male o-ring type. If someone could confirm this it would be great
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Harry

From my instructions: The pressure and return fittings that go to the rack are 18mm and 16mm with o-ringd to -6 male. Go to your local hydraulics shop and have them match the fittings. Use -6 fittings on the hoses.If you use early Ford/Eaton power steering pump use a -6 fitting to 5/8 x18 thread count reverse flare on the pressure side of the pump. You will not have to use a pressure drop valve to regulate the line pressure as the power racks just fine with these pumps.Late model Ford pumps also work without using pressure regulator.

NOTE: The 18mm (larger fitting) to -6 A.N. is the pressure side.
Make sure you attach the hoses correctly or the seal in the rack head may rupture.

This is out of the instructions I got with my rack and pinion.

RICH MUISE

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I was just a moment ago looking at 16 and 18 mm adapters to the -6an. Now I can order them.

DanTudor57

Rich,

Can you share any details on the hose ends you finally ended up with?

With the Wurth-it setup I have, I am missing the hoses and pump -- so I need to source these. It looks like you used the eaton pump. If you had a choice today, would you continue with the Eaton pump or go with the  borgeson power steering pump?

RICH MUISE

As for choices I would make today...I don't know as they would be any different bacause my car is not up and running yet. I'm using the stock Ford PS pump that is on the '95 4.6 dohc engine. It is suppose to be a compatible pressure for use with the Cavalier rack.
The fittings on the Cavalier rack are 16 and 18 mm. I don't know how close the Wurthit setup is to the S&T setup I used, but for the S&T setup the fittings were in a pretty tight space. I went with banjo adapters from pure choice motorsports in Lake Havasu, Az....16mm to 6AN, and 18MM to 6AN. The banjo fittings worked perfectly to be able to just run the #6 lines straight up next to the frame...I strongly recommend them...at least for the rack positioning on the S&T setup.
My setup got a little more involved as I am using a hydroboost brake booster as well, and a cooler, so I had a total of 6 lines (all 6an) I had a special PS remote reservoir made with two return lines. Some pics and more info in the thread on the hrdroboost..last page, reply #66

http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=1737.msg38993#new

also.... www.purechoicemotorsports.com
http://www.purechoicemotorsports.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=194/category_id=99/mode=prod/prd194.htm