News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Magnum 500 wheels

Started by rmk57, 2014-04-02 19:18

Previous topic - Next topic

rmk57

Just out curiosity I tried one of my 15x7 Magnum 500's off my Mustang. The tires are p255 60 15's
Bfg radial t/a. I was pleasantly surprised that they fit. Had about 1/2" to the outside wheel lip and about 1 3/4" to the leaf spring. The stock Magnum wheel has a 4 1/4" backspace. I think with a 4 3/4 backspace rim that size tire would be right on the money width wise. You do have to jack the car on the frame and unbolt the shock to drop the suspension to get the tire passed the brake drum.

Randy
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

57AGIN

rmk57:

Randy I used to have to do that whole sequence to get my tires clear of the rear brake drum, too.  However, since installing the read disc brakes I don't have to do that anymore.  I still don't carry a spare, although I could.  If I have a flat out on the road, "HELLO AAA." lol  It will also be a lot easier to change to the drag radials if I ever get to the track again.

Bob
57 AGIN

gasman826

Even tubbed and frame narrowed, I have to unbolt the air bags, shocks and let the 4-link drop to the stops AND notch the wheel opening lip to get a rear tire on or off.  No spare...with a full out tire failure, call the roll back.  I do carry a tire plug kit and I have on board air for the air bags and air horn.  No room in the trunk for a spare anyway.

Frankenstein57

Randy, what year mustang wheels are we talking about? I see lots of stang wheels on craigslist, but never know what years might fit,  Mark

/

rmk57

Mine are 1970, 15x7. Part # C9ZZ-1007-E.  There pretty much all the same with slight differences in the silver/argent colour from 1969 to 1971. There are also 15x7 plain steel wheels that came as standard equipment on Boss 302's.
I think there are a few places reproducing them if you like that look.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429