News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Family's '57 Ford Fairlane Skyliner...$$$

Started by 1stGen, 2014-04-08 15:17

Previous topic - Next topic

JPotter57

It's hard to say.  From these pics it very well could bebut from the description, 4-8000 was a fair estimate.  It is just too hard to put a value on something like this without being there to see it in person.  Nothing wrong with a 58, hang around.  A lot of the info is the same for these cars, and you are most definitely welcome here, so stick around and make use of it.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Frankenstein57

Looks quite clean, if I was a retractable guy I'd be all over that one!

JPotter57

At the very least, someone has replaced the valve covers with MERCURY lettered ones, probably an engine swap to a 62-64 Mercury 390.  Stock 58-60 FE covers were baldys, like the 63-64 Chrome baldys that go for stupid money now.  I had two or three sets of those a while back, plus two sets of these MERCURY letter ones, both from 63-64 390s.  If the FE is really a 390 instead of the 332/352 Interceptor, well, it won't be original, but it will be better.  That would be a plus for me.  As for the swap, it is possible, since there are other period hot rod touches like the "500" steering wheel, flipped shackles, etc.  Check to see what some casting numbers are on the block.  If original, it should begin with B8AE or something like that.  If its a later mill, it will probably start with a C1AE, C2AE, or C3AE, or some variation.  I suspect it will be a C3AE block casting number from a Mercury Monterey or Marauder, just a hunch, so don't quote me.
Old, loud, and fast.

1stGen

Here's the VIN number: H8KW137637

The only numbers I could get off the engine were on the manifold. See if these look familiar:
C1ae9431-b
2a171

Kinda of sad to hear it's not the original engine but expected it. It's definitely in better shape than expected and it looks like no mice have invaded. Looks like everything is there. It's not the original color. Floorboards and truck are solid.
Thanks for the info and support guys.

RICH MUISE

"trunk and floorboards are solid"...that right there makes it worth a bunch more...after seeing the pics, 8k is a very good price imho...I'd grab it for sure.
You heard it right from the bossman....'58's are welcome here too. stick around. I'm sure alot of us want to see pics this thing cleaned up.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Lou

Sorry guys , no way this car is worth eight grand, it does not have the original engine, the reversed shackles tells me the springs are shot. From the pictures there are things laying against the body so I would expect paint chips and scratches. $4,500 tops if you can't live without it. (I love the fact that it's standard shift)

JPotter57

C1AE, means at least the intake is a 61, probably a 352 or 390.  Still not a bad starting point.  Like Lou said though, it isn't original, to some that would be a deal breaker, to others, not so much, and to yet some others, would be a plus.  It all really depends on what you want to do.  I assume with a Skyliner, there won't be much hot rod action going on, those dudes are heavy.  Still, with an FE and a manual trans, it would be a lot of fun to drive, especially with the top stowed and some cool tunes playing on the radio.
Old, loud, and fast.