News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

wipers

Started by Wagon57, 2014-04-17 09:13

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

Sorry guys, just my opinion. Ford built my car 58 years ago and the windshield wipers worked. Today, those same windshield wipers work although it does have a Chevy motor instead of vacuum powering it. I bet a dollar to a donut in 58 more years the damn wipers will still work.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

canadian_ranchero

i have been told one from a 60 or 61 ford will fit

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: canadian_ranchero on 2014-04-22 23:02
i have been told one from a 60 or 61 ford will fit

Yup, at least the 60.  Put one in the Ranchwagon I had.  Need longer screws and you have to bush the mounting holes (brake line worked perfect) and the cable needs to routed out the fire wall from the passenger side of the motor.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Zapato

59 was a transition year for wipers, electrics were an option. In 60 became standard and 61 is the last year of opposing wipers. Those are the 3 years for Ford wipers that convert easily. Not sure what Lincolns and Mercs had in those years do know that my 56 Continental MK2 has electric wipers.

Chevy had electrics and 12 volts in 55 leaving Ford behind on those 2 items. (hate giving those guys credit but its true) Don't believe and someone can correct me but not all GM had electric wipers in 55.

Personally, believe the bast solution for wipers using only Ford parts calls for a combination from 58-61 cars. And it removes the wiper motor from the firewall. Its what I will be doing on my 57.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

hiball3985

Off topic: I don't know why it took Ford so long to go to electric wipers but it took Chevy until 1960 to replace crappy ball bearings in the front hubs to tapered rollers  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Zapato

All those kinds of decisions are made by the bean counters, eventually the market (customer demand) will drive the change. Or even the supply chain starts shifting and will convince the OEMs that it won't be long before a certain product will either not be supported as rest of their competition has switched. No one manufacturer leads the way on all aspects of the product.

Ideally, everyone is ahead in some areas to keep their customer base happy. And in the 50s the illusion of a totally new car was Madison Avenues' message every year. And it sold a lot of cars with vintage technology like vacuum wipers.

Zapato

jumping jack flash

Heck , I don't care who made them, as long as they are electric. The chevy's bolt up nicely, look as if they were made for the Ford. I wouldn't mind slicking up the firewall though.

Zapato

jjf, if you want to that the following is needed. Piece of 58 inner firewall where the motor mounts under the dash. All related 58 wiper linkage,yes linkage not cables, the wiper posts and not sure if the cowl panel is different on a 58 so grab one if its available. you'll have the rework your heater duct work as the wiper motor is right in the middle.

Now if you decide to with a British set-up you need a Lucas unit, look on Ebay and you'll see several models. beauty of those is you can mount them in your kickpanel. you again will need the wiper posts. No linkage to speak of as they're driven by ''speedometer'' cables running inside brake line tubing.

Hopefully Limey 57 or another of our overseas friends will chime in with vehicles they would recommend searching for in our junkyards.

I agree with you flash, parts are parts and I don't care where they come from.Well probably not ready to even consider Chinese or Russian parts.

Zapato

jumping jack flash

I agree with you ,Zap about the parts from the Reds. What the hell was Viet Nam about? Not establishing trade relations or losing our jobs to cheap labor. It just pisses me off to no end , but the chinese are likely to be our only choice of pre- chromed goodies soon. Damned EPA.

RICH MUISE

LOL...may be it's some Washington long term cold war thing...heck half the chinese will be dead from toxic waste in a decade or two....you know, the "give them enough rope..." thing.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

junior58

Fitted my Newport kit on Saturday, went to Napier on Sunday and it didn't rain at all, dammit!!! It did rain yesterday so took her out, wipers worked perfectly. Such a simple installation.
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

VwDrvFnd

Good to hear i am installing mine here in the next few weeks! :burnout:

Quote from: junior58 on 2014-05-05 14:23
Fitted my Newport kit on Saturday, went to Napier on Sunday and it didn't rain at all, dammit!!! It did rain yesterday so took her out, wipers worked perfectly. Such a simple installation.
I have a rust hole in my passanger side inner fender well, It's 58 years old what do you expect?

Frankenstein57

I thought it was one of the easiest upgrades I made, mark

clusterbuster

I insalled the Newport version as well. Don't forget you need an extension for the wiper switch mounting  to make it fit. I had some trouble with mine at first because I din't have enough voltage to the motor. Just used a hot wire from under the dash. Works real nice now that

VwDrvFnd

Got The Newport Engineering Setup installed this weekend, Works like a charm. Only issue, I had to lengthen the wires about 10" because of the way i ran them into the cabin.

Two rounds of Simple Green and 4 rounds of GUNK with a scrub brush and I still couldn't get all the 50 year old dirt and crap off the firewall.
I have a rust hole in my passanger side inner fender well, It's 58 years old what do you expect?