News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Cal trac questions

Started by rmk57, 2014-04-17 19:38

Previous topic - Next topic

rmk57

I guess this may be directed at Bob (57agin). When you installed your caltracs did you use the aluminum bushing in your front spring eye?

I saw the photos you posted of the installation and there isn't a whole lotta room in the spring pocket for for all the hardware, did you use all of it?

Also are able to use the top hole or does the bolt hit the frame rail?
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

suede57ford

My black sedan has CalTracs.   I had to cut the bottom off the front spring hanger bracket, then make a plate from the outside of the hanger bracket back to the frame.  Wasn't hard to do and looked good when finished.  you may need to do a little clearancing in the pockect to make sure the front CalTrac brackets move easy when installed.   I used the Aluminum front bushing and coated everything with antiseize.   They don't seem to affect the ride at all. I've used them for 10+ years, and drive on the street every week, with no major wear issues.

Do not expect them to fix your traction issues with street tires, but when you put slicks on it, hold on tight. 

They work great with sticky tires, but little advantage with regular tires. The effects are mainly noticed at the track.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

57AGIN

rmk57:

I can't add anything to what suede57ford posted, as I didn't do the install.  One of the local shops that Calvert Racing authorizes to do installations of their CalTracs did the install.  The one time I had them on the strip, using Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials, I bogged on the starting line with a 4,000 rpm clutch dump.  Probably needed more air in the slicks.  I only got one run before the track was shut down due to high winds.  Five years have lapsed since that last drag run, the track has just reopened following years of litigation over sound issues. 

Bob
57 AGIN

Zapato

Quote from: 57AGIN on 2014-04-18 00:56
Five years have lapsed since that last drag run, the track has just reopened following years of litigation over sound issues. 

Wow! First time I've heard of a track reopening after being shut down. Tell us more.

zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

rmk57

Looks like they did a pretty neat job from the pics you took. Are you able to use the upper adjustment hole on the bracket that pivots or have you tried ?

Is that L.A. County raceway? I saw some article  while back where they installed sound barriers around the track to avoid noise violations, maybe that's the one?

Randy

Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

57AGIN

rmk57 & Zapato:

My avatar is a photoshop version of my 57 when it was running at The Auto Club Raceway in Fontana, CA, circa 2004 - 2008.  The only change was the color change from Turquoise/White to Blue/Pewter.  As for the raceway closure this is I believe what took place.  A local resident  (1) living across the tracks North of the AAA complex filed a noise complaint which ultimately led to the closure of the track, due to a faulty Environmental Impact Report.  It took 5 or 6 years for the lawsuit and subsequent mitigation measures to be completed to the satisfaction of the court.  One of the significant mitigation measures was the building of a sound wall and the imposition of specific decibel limitations during drag races held there.  I had a good time on that track, but its shut down length is a bit short for really high speed cars (not mine though). lol  In 2004 the drag strip was on the South side of the NASCAR stadium, it was later moved to the North side of the stadium, due among other things a drainage problem.  That is when the neighbor started complaining.  It is almost humorous though, the sound wall does keep some of the drag noise down, but I'll bet the noise from the rail road tracks in between the drag strip and the complainer's house reflects a lot of the noise from the trains right back at his house.  The track is open again and soon I'll get my 57 back on it again.

Bob
57 AGIN

Zapato

Quote from: 57AGIN on 2014-04-19 03:13That is when the neighbor started complaining.  It is almost humorous though, the sound wall does keep some of the drag noise down, but I'll bet the noise from the rail road tracks in between the drag strip and the complainer's house reflects a lot of the noise from the trains right back at his house.

There is always a silver lining out there waiting to be used. lol

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

JPotter57

I love a happy ending.  He got his soundwall, all right, lol.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.