News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Fuel tank sealer

Started by jwag, 2014-04-21 16:27

Previous topic - Next topic

jwag

I have a couple of tanks that are  leaking a bit and an extra one that is pretty rusted for my 57 Ranchero and 57 Ranchwagon. Seein's how the gas tanks for these are so much money ( $425 or more) and hard to come by, I think I will try to seal my extra tank and see how it comes out. From what I have read there are friends and enemies of all the products out there. I seem to be leaning twords Red kote, Bill Hirsch and/or Caswell.

My biggest question is... How do you avoid clogging up the fuel pickup in the tank when you use these sealers?

Also, any words of wisdom or input that you might have would be appreciated

hiball3985

I think the key to any of those products is getting the inside of the tank clean. I've never used any myself and only one person I know did and it was a failure because it hadn't been cleaned correctly and the stuff flaked off in big chunks..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

electricalan

I did the red kote inside and out.They have a black exterior tank sealer and the red stuff for the inside.I was able to get to the inside because I cut the well out of the Ranchero tank and welded a new flat piece in place.This gave me 5 gal. more capacity.The intake has a non serviceable filter or screen on the end which was a solid clump and never would have allowed fuel to flow.I got rid of it and will install a filter outside.I really like the red coat product .The exterior black brushes on and is so thick you will have brushmark texture for sure.I was able to push a 14 g.stranded insulated wire into the pickup tube and extend it a 1/4 inch past end of tube while viewing it through gas float hole.After coating the inside I just removed the wire.I had no hole in my tank but the claims they make about sealing small hole I believe.I put a coat on a paint can lid and after cure folded it in half and the stuff stayed on and did not crack.I had put some pick on here of the gas tank rebuild,but not after coating.I will try and find some pics when I get a chance.Good luck.  Al
      My pics are on page 11 general diss. ' 57 ranchero gas tank'
Returning from a long hibernation!!!

jwag

Thanks for the info. I will most likely go the red kote route. You cant buy it in California in any stores but I am sure I can get some sent to me through EBAY. If California has made it illegal to buy here... it has to be good!

Ecode70D

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2014-04-21 17:20
I think the key to any of those products is getting the inside of the tank clean. I've never used any myself and only one person I know did and it was a failure because it hadn't been cleaned correctly and the stuff flaked off in big chunks..

Jim's absolutely right.
If the inside of the tank is not clean, no matter how good the stuff is, you are in for a  whole bunch of trouble.   

electricalan

They suggest accetone or laquer thinner,moisture is what will ruin it.I googled Red coat industries and boght it direct.

electricalan

The problem I see is if you can,t get to the inside of the tank to remove that screen/filter off the end of the pickup tube it would never work.Thats why I mentioned I had my tank wide open and was able to removve that and clean the tank also.That thing was a solid mass and I wondered how they ever expected to service it.I wish I had taken a pic of that thing.Cleaning and drying the tank you could do,but with that thing in there I dont think you would ever get gas through it again.Hope this helps you get it done or avoid a problem. Good luck,let us know how ya came out. Al

jwag

A couple of questions.

1. It looks like i could actually cut off the fuel screen with a hacksaw blade through sender hole. its not attached to anything on the other end is it? If it is, that could be a problem. If it is not, I could probably work it out of there.

2. All the tanks I have have a drain plug in them. Have you ever taken one out? They are in there pretty good and I would hate to really mess up the take trying to get them out

electricalan

I did not have a problem gettting my drain plug out.Yes I think a long sawzall blade would work.I would use a fine tooth blade as you will not be able to de-borr the end.It is not attached to the tank.
                                                                                                             Al

4thgen57

Took my tank to a local radiator shop, He cut a hole n the top, cleaned and fixed the holes then welded it back up. been in the car for 14 years now without a problem!

jwag

Thanks for the responses I have been sand blasting it to get the rust off and have exposed quite a few little holes. My plan is to plug the bigger ones (1/4 inch) with an epoxy sealer and then coat the entire outside with the over kote and then do the inside with red kote.

Jamie

electricalan

Good luck and let us know how it comes out. Al