News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

A mechanic's opinion

Started by Ecode70D, 2014-04-21 22:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecode70D

Today I stopped for gas at a station that had a mechanic.  The mechanic came out and was looking at my car and kept mumbling to himself "57 Chevy" under his breath.  That's when he told me that he had a 57 Chevy just like mine many years ago.

I think that garage needs a new mechanic.
    I'm thankfull that I can still work on my own cars and don't have to go to someone
           like that to do something for me. 
    If this is a 57 Chevy, then I'll have to get off this forum. 

junior58

Looks way better than any Chevy!!!!!!!!!!!!
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

RICH MUISE

Sounds like he's related to the guy that told me "I use to have one exactly like that...what is it?"
Those are great pics of the car, Jay...love that shot by the wadda. (see I have not lost my Mass. accent)
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

JimNolan

I had an older woman look at my car at a car show a few years back. She went all around it exclaiming that her Dad had owned one just like it only it was two toned green and it was an Oldsmobile. I get the " What year is it" and then " I love 57 Chevys" also.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Ecode70D

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2014-04-22 08:18
Sounds like he's related to the guy that told me "I use to have one exactly like that...what is it?"
Those are great pics of the car, Jay...love that shot by the wadda. (see I have not lost my Mass. accent)

Rich
    It seems like there are a lot of people out there that "Used to have one exactly like that after they find out what is."

It's a good thing that you didn't lose your Boston accent.   You're going to need it when you come out here some day to visit your family. 

Don't forget that you have a standing invitation that I'm taking you to a very old drive in restaurant that has good old New England fried clams.  You also get to go in whatever car is in my fleet. 

My guess is that you're gunna wanna go in an old white cheapo Ford.  And we'll paak right in front of the place in the paakin lot. 

WOW!  It's a whole lot easier to talk Boston talk than it is to write it.

57 imposter

We were invited to bring some cars to a 60 year class reunion, in a nearby town, for display at their picnic.  sitting several feet away I saw two elderly women standing, for quite some time, in front of my car. Finally one said to the other " boy, I have some great memories of me and Bill in a car just like this one".  Some folks get it right. Made the trip worth it for me.

ragtop

and all 2dr wagons are nomad wagons

Ecode70D

Quote from: 57 imposter on 2014-04-22 14:51
We were invited to bring some cars to a 60 year class reunion, in a nearby town, for display at their picnic.  sitting several feet away I saw two elderly women standing, for quite some time, in front of my car. Finally one said to the other " boy, I have some great memories of me and Bill in a car just like this one".  Some folks get it right. Made the trip worth it for me.

I had countless 57-58 Fords but mostly 58's in the old days when I was single..  For some reason I always remember they had lots of room in them. 

junior58

Sounds similar to the people who advertise a car as "all original", and then go on to list all the things that have been changed.
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

Zapato

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2014-04-22 08:18
Sounds like he's related to the guy that told me "I use to have one exactly like that...

Rich, I know that guy! Have run into him several times...

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

djfordmanjack

Quote from: ragtop on 2014-04-22 14:55
and all 2dr wagons are nomad wagons

yeah, and all the Courier Deliveries are hearses, no matter if they are painted a bright red ... I've heard those so often it makes me sick to think about it...sometimes feels people want me to apologize for not having a Nomad, but the Ford looks so much better ;-)

djfordmanjack

slightly Offtopic, and they are different years obviously, but here's my Rio compared to my buddy's 56 Nomad.

Is it just me or does the Nomad look like a 5 yr older car with all those stubby details ? My friend is the nicest guy on earth and we have a lot of fun joking about each others ride. But I see no point in that the Chevy  is any better than the Fomoco. The rear hatch/tailgate of the Chevy is akward. it needs a wrestler or 2 to open and close it, while the Ford's swings open easily by a kid. The Ford has that overall 'forward look' from the raked a pillar, hooded headlights and Custom 300 side spear trim to the rocket beam taillights...you get my picture I think  :003: so good to talk inside a 57 Ford forum without being bothered by the 'it's not a Chevy' crowd... :002: but I love all my chevy friends too..

Ecode70D

Günter
    It's not off topic when we are talking about how great our 57 Fords are.  You just have to be careful when you park so close to those Chevies..  There is a lot of bad stuff coming off them and you just  happen to be parked between two of them in both pictures. (Spass)
     Are you and your friends at a car cruise or is that a car show?  What's the grey one parked three cars to the left of your 57 and to the right of the red 55 Olds?   Is it a Lincoln Cosmopolitan or a baby Lincoln? 
     That's a great showing of American cars.  Looks like everyone is having a great day.
     Does your tail gate touch that big license plate when you open it?
  Jay   

rmk57

Its the little things, such as Ford decided to hide the tailgate hinges for a nice clean finished look.
Take a look at a tri-5 chevs with their gate hinges exposed and decide which looks better.

Randy
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Ecode70D

Quote from: rmk57 on 2014-04-24 08:13
Its the little things, such as Ford decided to hide the tailgate hinges for a nice clean finished look.
Take a look at a tri-5 chevs with their gate hinges exposed and decide which looks better.

Randy

Randy
    I never noticed that about the hinges.   Maybe it's because I have a tendency to look the other way when I'm anywhere near one of them.     I'll try to pay closer attention  when the car season starts.
    Even though it will be very painful.