News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Homemade Caltracs

Started by rmk57, 2014-05-10 19:30

Previous topic - Next topic

rmk57

After debating whether I should even bother to try and build a set of these I decided why not, only because they don't make them for 57 Fords.
With rod ends, 3/16 plate, Dom tube, nuts and bolts I'm into them for about $130-140. Would I do it again? Probably not, there's a lot of fabricating, machineing, welding, and at $340 for a real set there a pretty good deal.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

rmk57

I had the aluminum spring eye bushings machined for free at work. I still have to figure out shocks. Sounds like most people use Rancho RS 9000's, so I may have redo the shock plate mounting hole.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

JimNolan

Whenever I make something for my car. I don't care if it's just the ashtray light, I feel a satisfaction. It just makes your car a little bit more yours instead of a car you bought off someone else.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

RICH MUISE

Right on Jim!! Nice job on the bars. Does adding those change the shock configuration somehow? In a previous life, I spent almost 20 years as a prototype machinist/toolmaker. I can't tell you how many times I wished I had a mill available now.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Jeff Norwell

That is very Cool Randy. Can someone give me a little history and BG on the Caltracs? As opposed to a Pinion snub or I dare say Traction bars?
Thanks!
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

JimNolan

Bob Lee wrote a very good article on the installation of Cal-Tracs that is probably still in the newsletter section. His modifications to his front leaf spring hanger motivated me to buy the Traction Masters set-up. Having broken my axle a week before I figured I needed something. The Traction Masters enable you to keep your original shock mount plate also. Other than having to weld the Traction Masters plate on the frame I was happy. If I'd have went with the Cal-Tracs I'd have had to modify the front spring hanger. I like the looks of the Cal-Tracs though.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

rmk57

The bottom of the spring hanger has to be cutoff to allow the triangular plates to pivot. Also the frame rail has to be notched for the inside plate to move freely. The spring pocket is quite small and there really isn't a lot of room for these things to operate as they should without these mods.
Another option would be to move the spring hanger to the inside of the frame rail but this opens up a another can of worms with exhaust, e-brake cables, fuel lines, rear axle mounting, ...........

Caltracs are only the first step I need to get the car to hook better. A rear adjustable shock along with front drag style shock with a drag radial should really make them work like they are intended.

Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Jeff Norwell

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com