News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Five Years (+10) and counting

Started by gasman826, 2014-05-20 19:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Norwell

Looks very very good Gary.I noticed on your header pics what seems to be an electric cut out?. if so. did you use a Doug Thorley unit?.. from what i have heard.although expensive. they work.... and no failure..as other cheaper brands... Maybe its not a cut out at all.. ha ha ......
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

gasman826

3-1/2" electric cutouts straight off the headers by Quick Time Performance.  Real dust blowers.  Doug's were too big.

John Palmer

The "V" band clamps shown in Gary's photo work great.  I would highly recommend them to anyone building a new exhaust system.  They are not cheap, but still a small cost factor to what you will spend building, and coating a new system.  No gaskets, or seals, they come apart, and go back together for many years, and NOT LEAK!

I had one on my race car, and a pair on my High Boy.

gasman826

I have them on both '57s.  I can remove the exhaust pipes and mufflers in one piece and in a minute!

John Palmer

This comment is directed to others that might still be in the "planning stage" for their new exhaust systems.  If you plan to have your exhaust system ceramic coated, be aware that not every coater has an "unlimited size" high temperature oven.  This stuff is not your normal plastic powder coating material that will melt in a 400 degree oven.  Check with your coater for size limitations.

My coater is a large volume shop that does lots of piston coating and headers for many of the local manufactures, BUT they had a limit to the maximum exhaust length they could fit into their high temp oven.  That length was five feet.  But, by splitting my exhaust system just behind the mufflers with the "V" band clamps, I was able to keep all the parts under the five foot limit.  This was on my '32 High Boy project.

I went for the satin black color, and it looked exactly the same from day one, until I sold the car six years later.  We had bright silver color on our race car exhaust, and would get oil burned on it sometimes.  Just a little WD-40 and a 3M Scotch bright pad would knock it right off, spray it down with Simple Green to remove the WD-40 oil film, and hose it off with water, done.

Ceramic coating is great, IMO.

gasman826

HUGE MILESTONE!!!  Doors!  All new glass, seals, channels, handles, and power windows.

Off for upholstery.

RICH MUISE

Congrats! The car is really looking awesome. Paint looks fantastic. Any projections for the first road test? It's been a long road for ya with all the moving and new garage interruptions, not to mention the time spent with a new wife!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Jeff Norwell

Congrats Gary!!! well done and an amazing goal reached!.... your lucky... it's snowing here.................boo.....
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

racton

:unitedstates:   It looks fantastic.5 years well spent.Racton

gasman826

Thanks for all your thoughts.  Since it is going to the upholstery jail, I chose not to speculate a return date.

lalessi1

Lynn

Ecode70D

It's looking great and it's the right color too.

RICH MUISE

Even better than that, Jay...............SHINEY right color.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Marc

Wow that looks nice!

terry_208

I have to agree with everyone else...very nice!
Terry