News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Five Years (+10) and counting

Started by gasman826, 2014-05-20 19:20

Previous topic - Next topic

rmk57

At first I wasn't to keen on the wheels, but now there really starting to grow n me.

Car has a nice stance, looks good.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

gasman826

I started this frame-off paint job more than eleven years ago!  For more than 3-1/2 years ago, it went to upholstery jail.  At first, it was a joke.  I have almost forgot that I own this car.  More than four months ago, my tolerance ran out.  I interview other upholsterers to finish.  I didn't expect anyone to get in the middle of this mess.  Two upholsterers are familiar with the high-end quality of the work so far and are willing to finish in the same style and quality.  So here it comes, the owner will not allow me to remove my car from his shop.  He will not return my calls, will not give me a bill and his health is bad so the business is closed.  I can't let this go any longer and just made an appointment with my lawyer.  Sucks!!!!

terry_208

That really sucks!  A lot of cars are lost to such things.  Not only cars but also parts.  An Uncle of mine lost the trans from his 58 convertible.  He took it to a shop and the owner died.  The heirs sold the parts for scrap metal.

Good luck on getting things worked out!
Terry

rmk57

What a nightmare. It does sound like a slam dunk case to get your car back though if an agreement on price can be reached on the work he's done already. Good luck.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

RICH MUISE

Wow, maybe a letter from your lawyer explaining fees and court costs will be enough to shake it loose. I assume you had an agreed on price for the complete job. I would think a quote from your next upholsterer to finish the job should/could be deducted from the original amount. Was it paid in full when you brought it in, hopefully just a deposit and he completed enough to cover that.
Sad world we live in today. I was just reading a Hamb thread about a guy who paid 13k to have a 394 '64 olds high performance engine built complete. It took 6 years to finally get an engine, and it's not only not a high performance motor, at best it's an earier 394 block that nothing fits from the hp version.
The guy is doing a factory restoration on a Starfire that had originally the hp motor. Not sure why the original block wasn't sent to the builder for rebuild.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

alvin stadel

Gary, don't give up or give in. I had about the same kind of thing happen with a paint shop. Had a friend of mine finish up the work and it looks great. I'm old and get cranky real easy, about the only thing that works on me anymore is my mouth. But when my sons and I showed up to get the car, and they don't take any S--- from any one,  he even helped us load it on the trailer. Now you will have leagal fees. These  kind of deals really get me fired up, hope you go for his nuts.  Good luck and take care, Alvin

Ecode70D

Gary
    That's absolutely horrible.   I too have heard horror stories like that.  Hopefully your lawyer can get the ball rolling
and get your car back.  Jay

Ecode70D

Gary
     Are you making any progress in getting your car out of that upholstery shop ?
     How do you know for absolute sure that the upholsterer still has it?   I would hate to think that it is overseas somewhere.
     Strange things happen . 
     My police background makes me very very suspicious.
Jay 

mustang6984

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2020-05-18 20:49
Gary
     Are you making any progress in getting your car out of that upholstery shop ?
     How do you know for absolute sure that the upholsterer still has it?   I would hate to think that it is overseas somewhere.
     Strange things happen . 
     My police background makes me very very suspicious.
Jay

Mine too....was wonderin' about that...and probably Joe as well.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

gasman826

Thanks for asking.  Sadly, the upholsterer passed.  His widow immediately sent word to pickup the Custom.  She has a friend acting as caretaker who contacted me to set an appointment to gather up parts and materials.  Finding everything was very challenging because everything was scattered all over the 6000 sf shop.  Some things were never found but the car is home.  The missing, new Wilwood master cylinder is a mystery in its self.   Another upholstery shop has committed to finishing the job with one reservation...I have to reassemble the interior.  I am busy locating the missing parts and assembling the interior.  I am also finding unfinished wiring and testing all interior systems.  Now, courtesy lights, speakers, power windows, and illumination are all working.  I am hoping to ship the car within the next couple of weeks.

C-19 is really impacting all areas of the economy.  Several businesses are not offering any services.  Some are offering limited services.  Before I order anything, I call to confirm they are open, working, inventory, and shipping.  Shipping is a crap shoot.  The ship times are 2-4 and more times longer and the tracking isn't working or meaningless.  The wife and I are so very fortunate to be retired and not worried about food, bills or going to work.  I work in my home shop and don't see people for days so this is no big change for me.  Since I still have the occasional errand to run for food and supplies, I observe a new level of security.  I am old and a member of the protected class.  I do NOT expect nor trust the rest of humanity to change their lives to protect me.  It is my job to protect me and mine.  I wear a mask not to protect me but out of respect for others.  I carry disinfectant to spray down the gas pumps, door handles and key pads.  The inside of my car is a safe zone so everything is sprayed before it goes into the car.  The same with our house.  We'll take care of ourselves and the rest of the world can go on.

Ecode70D

Now I'm really relieved knowing that you have your car back in your own possession. You must be releived.  As you progress, You will probably find out that there are more pieces missing from your car.  The important thing is that you have your car again. Hopefully you will be able to tie up all the loose ends and progress will go smoothly with the new upholstery  shop
    Most of us guys are older and in the same boat with that C 19 problem.  We have to be very careful when we go out and wear protection.  I do our food shopping very early in the morning when there are less people in the store.  Most likely we will not go back
to normal after C 19 is gone.   It will probably be a long time before we see guys doing such a simple thing as shaking hands.

mustang6984

Not me. I am a numbers kinda guy. Less than 1% of the country, or the earth's entire population has been affected by this thing directly. Three BILLION+ people live in this country. Seven BILLION+ on the planet.
There was a similar virus back in '68...and no one hardly knew/knows it. Didn't stop the gathering of hippy freaks in some place called Woodstock did it? Government stayed out of it, and we didn't have the "social" media we have today...which is to say we didn't have the reams of misinformation we have today terrifying everyone.
I am still doing as I always have...and am just to old and too disinterested in changing my ways.

I...am a rebel!  :003:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

terry_208

Quote from: gasman826 on 2020-05-19 09:04
Thanks for asking.  Sadly, the upholsterer passed.  His widow immediately sent word to pickup the Custom.  She has a friend acting as caretaker who contacted me to set an appointment to gather up parts and materials.  Finding everything was very challenging because everything was scattered all over the 6000 sf shop.  Some things were never found but the car is home.  The missing, new Wilwood master cylinder is a mystery in its self.   Another upholstery shop has committed to finishing the job with one reservation...I have to reassemble the interior.  I am busy locating the missing parts and assembling the interior.  I am hoping to ship the car within the next couple of weeks.

Has this been posted somewhere in the past?  I ask because as I read this, I realized I already knew it. I am sorry if this comes across as being a smart a$$.
Terry

RICH MUISE

Yes, it must have been, because I already knew it also, just not some of the details........missing Master cylinder??? That's weird for being in an upholstery shop. Sounds like they maybe were just starting to part it out. Glad the man's wife saw fit to get things cleared up right away.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

Yes, getting the car back was discussed before.  Rather than do a search and post a link, I was lazy and just needed to vent again.  The C-19 comments are new in my effort to support people getting back to work and those of us concerned will work it out.  I've always had a little bit of a clean thing.  When I was in dealership, my tools were cleaned, my clothes were mostly clean, in between jobs I washed my hands...I was not getting in a customers new Lincoln with white leather and leave greasy hand prints behind.  At one time, I took chefs classes along with restaurant management classes.  After seeing how easily stuff could pass through a commercial kitchen, I am uncomfortable with some things I've seen in restaurants.  I don't even want to start on salad bar and buffet sneeze guards!  If I were younger and had a job, I would be going to work.  Since I'm retired, I have the luxury of time and resources to take care of myself.