News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

T5 swap on a 223

Started by Finally1, 2014-05-26 08:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Finally1

Well I decided that the ole girl needed a change so I went with a t5 from a Thunderbird Turbo Coupe . I used this transmission for a few reason had a few laying around plus it has a 4.08 first gear which it seemed it would like a shorter 1st gear to get it rolling easier plus work the motor less . I took the factory pilot bushing and machined the center out for a 2.3 pilot bearing and pressed it in the bushing . I used a adapter from Modern Driveline and a old school shifter they sell as well . I had to get a different driveshaft luckily I had my original from my 66 Fairlane which was 57 inches center to center which is just what I needed within a 1/2 that is .The factory clutch was a 9.5 and had the wrong size center hub so I used the Turbo Coupe disc which is 9.25 and has the correct hub center . Everything else went well except the wiring for the tailights was right in the middle of the tunnel so I cut two of them so gotta take the seat out and pull the carpet up and fix the wiring . Should have test results of the test drive later today .
1957-70A -19000 miles
1966 Gt Fairlane 38000 miles

Both cars still have original sheet metal

Finally1

Well Im gonna have to say very happy with the drive-ability of the ole girl now she motors right along in 5 th gear on the highway and the short first gear is very nice as well .
1957-70A -19000 miles

RICH MUISE

Nothing better than things working as planned. Congrats on pulling it off...sounds like you got a winner! And you got rid of the non syncro to boot! So, it's better on take off and highway speeds as well? I'm gonna guess with that 6, you don't have a tach in the car??
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Finally1

No tach at the moment need to get the shifter tube outta there then the new old school tach will be installed . Need to redo the throttle linkage it change the position of the motor a little so didnt have much throttle for the trip home . This has a Clifford intake ,split header and a Holley 2 barrel so it moves right along .
1957-70A -19000 miles

hiball3985

Just out of curiosity and for future reference may I ask how you mated the T5 to the 223 bell housing? I've seen it done on modified Yblock bell housings which have the same narrow bolt pattern. Does the Tbird T5 have a different bolt pattern the other T5's ?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Finally1

Same adapter as Y block I bought it from Modern Driveline . All T5s made for Ford have the same bolt pattern there are however a few different input shaft lengths . On the 4 banger trans there are a few different gear sets . A na 4 banger has a 3.97 first gear ,83-88 T bird ,Cougar,
Turbo Gt Mustang and 84 -85 Svo have a 4.08 first gear and the 85.5 - 86 Mustang Svo have a 3.50 first gear .The 4 banger trans has a longer input shaft than the 83-93 v 8 trans but shorter than the 94-95 V8 trans and the 94 up V 6 trans . For the adapter u need stay the 83-93 v 8 trans and wouldnt have to change  or alter the pilot as I did or use the 4 banger trans make your own pilot and the 6 cylinder crank is not drilled very deep so I cut 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch off the input shaft of the trans to get it to set flush .Sounds crazy but it works great
1957-70A -19000 miles

hiball3985

Great info, thank you.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

62galxe

and if you want to move the shifter heres some info from my t5 swap behind a 292. S10 tailhousing. Early version with mechanical speedometer.
http://www.slick60s.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12055&start=20&hilit=trans

Finally1

I put a t5 in my Custom and my Fairlane both and they both have a bench seat with no problems .
1957-70A -19000 miles