News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Door Lock Cylinder Help

Started by petew, 2014-06-11 15:31

Previous topic - Next topic

petew

Attached is a picture of the inside of my front door pass side. As I started to install the door guts I discovered that I don't have (apparently never had) the linkage to connect the lock cylinder to the door latch assembly.
Pictured is the backside of lock cylinder, above that is the rod that leads from the door lock knob to the door latch which is on the right in the picture.
I don't have the linkage for either side . Would anyone have a picture of the linkage ? I checked the shop manual and couldn't find a picture or diagram . And the big question is would anyone know where I might find linkage parts ?

Pete

Frankenstein57

Randy Conner has a woods full of wagons

petew

Thank you sir, I'll give him a call.

RICH MUISE

we had a thread going on that with lots of pics...a few years back. I'll try to find it. I vaguely remember seeing somewhere that somebody was reproducing them. They are a cast piece that fatigue with age and use...that being tha problem with an old one. Some wagons are different. I bought mine nos off ebay from a guy who specialized in nos locks and ignitions. The seller was lightning something...I'll try to find that also. will be late tonight though..gotta go out for a while.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

couldn't find the thread, but did find a pic. Just a heads-up..right and lefts are different. Also, passenger side should be easier to find since they weren't used as much as the driver's side lock. The nos ones I found were a little shorter than my custom oem's..really strange since the custom levers are the shortest ones. Also check the back end of your key cylinder to make sure the casting on that isn't broken...my old one was.
If you find levers that seem to come up a tad short of what you need, I have a cheap and easy fix for that.
The second pic shows the lever laying next to the latch. The two brass ferrells are what I used to fix the problem of being too short. They are plumbing fittings for plastic ice maker tubing. perfect size.light press fit in original latch hole and slip fit over lever's arm. The second ferrell just sliped over the lever's center post, flange down. The oem fit was pretty sloppy, so no need for reaming holes out...plenty of room for the thin walled ferrell.
The ebay seller I got mine from was LIGHT1NIN, but he has 0 listings, so it looks like he's dropped out of ebay..he use to have hundreds of listings.

RICH MUISE

One other thing...there seems to be some confusion (at least with me) as to why the wagons would have a longer lever...doesn't make sense to me unless it's the squire model which I belive had the locks in the "wood" siding trim...so imho, the levers are probably the same as a custom unless you have a squire. That's just a guess though.

RICH MUISE

Check these out...Jerry's Classic Cars. Look like a replacement lever designed to replace any model, right or left. For $6 might be worth a try or at least a phone call.
http://www.parts123.com/PartFrame.asp?ZTM=cadeifga&GHOME=www.jerrysclassiccars.com&TITLE=Jerrys_Classic_Cars_and_Parts

The item is not coming up directly..type door lock lever into the search block.

If you do find a set of oem cast levers, so that you're dealing with lefts and rights, make sure both the key cylinder and the inside lock button functions before you close up. It is posible to get them installed switched...they just won't work that way. Ask me how I know. LOL
rereading old posts..edit...by switched I meant left to right.

petew

Thanks Rich, great information. I did find a guy on ebay that has an nos pair (right and left) but his ebay store is "closed" until the end of the month so he is not making sales until he returns.
So I will see if he responds to my email and go from there.
If that doesn't work out then I'll try Jerry's . Pretty ingenious fix you came up with there !
Thank you for posting all of the info, I will be referring to it I'm sure.

Pete

VwDrvFnd

They call them the "Door Lock cylinder lever" I had to replace both of mine recently. I either got them at Mac's or Concours Parts. No one makes the retaining spring. So i just cut a piece off a spring i found in my garage junk pile. its about the diameter of a #2 pencil an about the length of metal ferel that holds the eracer on.

I had to do some grinding on the lever arms to the ones i got to get them to work right, they were to long and to wide. But in the end they work great.
I have a rust hole in my passanger side inner fender well, It's 58 years old what do you expect?

petew

Wouldn't happen to recall which vendor they came from or part #'s would you ? There are a couple of choices it seems.

VwDrvFnd

well i went back and checked my reciepts and i actually got them from Dennis Carpenter

http://dennis-carpenter.com/door-lock-cylinder-lever/p/B8S-6321971-A/

http://dennis-carpenter.com/door-lock-cylinder-lever/p/B8S-6321970-A/

these links say for 58 - 60 which might be part of the fitment issue i had but like i said a little grinding on the lever arm and they worked.
I have a rust hole in my passanger side inner fender well, It's 58 years old what do you expect?

petew

Thank you sir for doing that research. I actually took the advise and gave Randy Conner a call because I needed some trim pieces as well. He says that he had it all so it looks like I will get some oem parts from a donor car.

Pete