News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Rich mentioned it elsewhere, got me thinking.........

Started by Zapato, 2014-07-23 16:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapato

-project code name-  Amarillo  Rich brought up a point on another site. He was surprised that Ford didn't build a Fairlane based station wagon. We can come up with many reasons such as Chevrolet losing upwards of $1000- on every Nomad and that would have been the market.

But really as far as wagons go it would have been gorgeous. Imagine it being built as a 2 door hardtop (pillarless) wagon. Believe Buick did that in '58. The Ford styling of 57 a much simpler and elegant look would have been stunning. Ford would have had to overcome the same problem GM had selling a high dollar wagon with limited rear seating access to their wagon market audience. Which was moms with lots of kids yesterdays ''soccer moms''.

Hopefully, someone here will photoshop one, keeping the Fairlane pillars as is.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Zapato

Oh, can you see it with fake wood paneling like the Country Squire ? Gets my blood pressure going.

Zapato

hotroddonnie

I'm not listening Zap until you mention the straight axle. HRD

Zapato

HRD, am starting to think the high altitude is depriving you of oxygen and clouding your thinking, really it calls for about a 3 inch channeling.

zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

John Palmer

We had a 1957 Buick Caberello (sp?) Estate Wagon when I was a kid.  It was a four door hard top "very deluxe" wagon.  It had all the bells and whistles of the day.  It was Buick's answer to the deluxe Nomad wagon.

The thing that I still remember to this day, was it had the starter solenoid switch mounted on the Rochester four barrel carb, and it commonly failed.  To start the car, you turned on the ignition, then floored the gas pedal, and when it started you let up on the gas pedal.  Seems like a "kinda crazy" way to start a car today, in light of the Toyota run away throttles.

junior58

Ford kinda did it with the Mercury hardtop wagons, in both 4 door and the extremely rare 2 door.
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

hotroddonnie

Quote from: Zapato on 2014-07-23 22:27
HRD, am starting to think the high altitude is depriving you of oxygen and clouding your thinking, really it calls for about a 3 inch channeling.

zap- :unitedstates:
LOL!

Zapato

Those Mercury wagons are killer!  Been thinking almost constantly on this since yesterday and have named this phantom idea the Amarillo and should be only available in Southwest color schemes. Staying with a 50s splash, seats should have a Navaho blanket theme.

Yes, I know you're all thinking sure am glad Zap wasn't working in Detroit in 57. But I can see it. Need to get my pencils out and start on the top secret ''Amarillo Project  :us-texas: ''.

Zapato

RICH MUISE

Thanks for posting those pics, Junior. I had no idea Mercury made a "hardtop" wagon....very cool!
Zap..."Amarillo"?...southwest color scheme? Thanks, but I was thinking high gloss black, all over, with a red or tan interior...LOL...I'm to old for a project like that, but the figuring-it-out would be fun.
It would be awesome to find a "too-far-gone-to-restore" 2 dr. Mercury wagon and use the components to build a Ford Fairlane based wagon. I wonder what wheelbase those Mercury wagons were. Hmmm...Al's friend, Marty, in Colorado is big time into Merc's...wonder what he knows.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

robhaerr

I have always pictured my wagon with a '57 Buick Caballero roof/pillar-less hardtop (love that line from the front to the rear of the passenger window)...and I hate to say it here...but a '59/60 Chevy dash (love that dash gauge cluster).

That would be quite a project.

I'm not a fan of the 57 Fairlane rear quarters...that fin line is too much. The Custom/Ranchero/Wagon line is perfect.

Zapato

Quick Google search for Mercury wagon specs   122'' wheelbase and 368 Lincoln engine little over 12mpg

Zapato

Zapato

Quote from: Zapato on 2014-07-24 09:15
Quick Google search for Mercury wagon specs   122'' wheelbase and 368 Lincoln engine little over 12mpg

Count me in as also pleasantly surprised seeing these Mercury wagons. Who knew?
Zapato

SkylinerRon

Royce Brechler recently bought a 57 Merc 2dr Ht wgn w/a 460 based 545 that runs 11.flats @123mph.
Another cool Merc for his stable.

Ron.

Zapato

as my gran daughter would say SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!

Zap-  :unitedstates:

any pictures to share?
Zapato

djfordmanjack

I have an original Ford Dealers comparison chart between the Ford and Chevy line. They say exactly  that, there is little to no demand on a 2dr ht sports wagon, when the need for a luxury 9psgr is much bigger. so they put the country squire ABOVE the Nomad. they compare the Delrio to the 2dr post Chevy wagon, but I think, speaking from styling, the Rio is way above the Chevwagon and should be compred to the Nomad. Now I have dear friends with long time Nomad ownership, but I think they stink, when compared to the 300trim of a Del Rio. Maybe I am just a bit biased ;-)