News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Exhaust

Started by VwDrvFnd, 2014-08-11 18:48

Previous topic - Next topic

VwDrvFnd

Glad to hear that the weldoron kit fit good.
I am trying to avoid a tow truck trip back and forth as well, I need to get my car titled here in Texas but I can't drive the car myself the way it sits. Trying to find someone who can drive a three on the tree is next to impossible.
I have a rust hole in my passanger side inner fender well, It's 58 years old what do you expect?

petew

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2014-08-15 18:39
Thanks, I'll check it out. I've tried to listen to different muffler systems over the internet in the past..places like dynaflow. You can pick a car/engine close to what you have, then listen to all their different systems on it. Problem I had was they all sounded the same...probably 'cause I don't have a good sound system on my computer.

It isn't so much the sound as it is the difference between a closed and open muffler. They do a pretty good test that demonstrates the difference.

RICH MUISE

Quote from: VwDrvFnd on 2014-08-15 19:39
Glad to hear that the weldoron kit fit good.
Trying to find someone who can drive a three on the tree is next to impossible.
LOL...you must be one of the younger generation...you need to find some old guys to hang out with!...
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2014-08-16 07:46
LOL...you must be one of the younger generation...you need to find some old guys to hang out with!...
I remember the days when I couldn't get the column shift converted to the floor fast enough. Today I'm really enjoying the three on the tree. Some of the younger generation can't even drive a stick. A few years ago I took my Panel truck to Costco for tires, first the kid was looking all over the column for the ignition and I had to point it out for him, then he looked at the shifter on the floor with a blank look on his face and when I told him it was a three speed he looked at me like I had a pile of $hit on my head, climbed out and asked me to move it into the shop bay  :003:

Sorry I went off topic.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

sprink88

I love column shifts. I had to teach one of my buds 25 years ago on a 57 Chev he bought. I had no clue myself. But in about 5 min, I had the shift pattern figured out. Don't see them to much anymore so they are unique.
~Chris

Frankenstein57

My first dirt sportsman was a 58 ford, 427, 3 on the tree. Talk about fun

SkylinerRon

The Waldrons parts I have used have fit fine. They have been in business for decades.
I always clean the oil off of new tubing and paint with header paint inside and out.  Have a set I painted in 1969 still on a car.
Recently did some tailpipes with POR-15, we'll see how they hold up. Can't do the mufflers or headpipes they get too hot. (per POR-15 tech).
If you can find old hangers the rubber can be replaced with tire sidewalls cut into strips and 1/4" rivets.
Goodluck,
Ron.

Frankenstein57

If someone is looking to do exhaust on a budget, I bought a kit from JC Whitney, for $200 delivered. Exhaust guy wanted $600, so I went this direction.  They didn't have a kit for a 57, I chose a 60's mustang/ cougar kit. I looked for the cars that would go up over the rear end, and kick out to the quarters to go around the wide fuel tank. To make up the wheelbase difference I bought a short section at the local parts store. It came with performance mufflers, looks stock, but has a nice tone with the Y-block blowing through them. I think they are 2", and I painted the pipes with KBS coatings high temp paint.   Good luck, Mark

robhaerr

I had my exhaust done at a local one-man muffler shop. 2 1/4" with Magnaflow Turb XL mufflers...you may have already see the video...

Sounds great at speed on the freeway, but a little loud during acceleration...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj-5odSvX7E

I need to splice-in some footage at speed on the freeway and acceleration in the power band at 3000 rpm+.

Rob

Lucky'57

Sounds great at speed on the freeway, but a little loud during acceleration...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj-5odSvX7E

I don't care what anybody says, that is one FINE sounding machine!
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

VwDrvFnd

Rich I am of the younger generation, born in the 70's but grew up working on my own stuff and have never been able to leave stuff in its stock form. As a kid I never had a new bike, I always built my own out of old pieces the way I wanted it. My first car (82 Buick Regal) I built in my driveway out of two wrecked cars I bought for less than 300$ when I was 16. Drove it for 6 years only ever having to do regular maintenance to it.
But now my fat ass and being partially blind I can't do what I use to be able to do and finding people to help do the work is non existant. My block use to bee full of Car nuts and guys building fast street cars but all that has faded away. I would love to know a few local old guys with true car guy blood flowing thru there veins that didn't have a stick up there ass.

My dilemma with the exhaust is that I cant drive the car so I either have to get someone to drive it to an exhaust shop for me or have it towed. There are no decent exhaust shops near me so having it towed will be expensive.
My thought on the Welderon kit is that I could possibly get some help and hang it here myself in the driveway and save on the towing and install cost.

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2014-08-16 07:46
I have a rust hole in my passanger side inner fender well, It's 58 years old what do you expect?

Lgcustom

I'm of the OLDER generation and live in Cypress. Where in H-town to you live? I might be able to drive it for you or help install a kit.

RICH MUISE

Well that one sure deserved an applaud! Nice offer LG
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

X2 what Rich said, nice of you to offer to help.

The old guys with cars that I have lunch with a few times a week there is only one other that actually works on his car besides me. The rest just seem to be on ego trips and throw $$$ at other people to do the work..

I'm old school and to me nothing sounds better then a Yblock. I run glass packs with full length tail pipes out the back, sounds great outside and is quite inside.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2014-08-20 07:24
X2 what Rich said, nice of you to offer to help.

The old guys with cars that I have lunch with a few times a week there is only one other that actually works on his car besides me. The rest just seem to be on ego trips and throw $$$ at other people to do the work..

I'm old school and to me nothing sounds better then a Yblock. I run glass packs with full length tail pipes out the back, sounds great outside and is quite inside.

Jim I'm going to put that on my winter to do list.  I'll remove the mufflers and install two short pieces of pipe.  It ought to sound real nice when I come home late at night.   Shift into second and let it gear down.