News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

MSD distributor in 57 Ranchero

Started by luelui57, 2014-08-26 13:24

Previous topic - Next topic

luelui57

I'm having John Mummert build a stroker Y-block for the 57 Ranchero.
Will the MSD distributor clear the firewall or will I need to have a stock distributor modified for my MSD 6 AL box?

Thanks, Louie
57 Ranchero
Robert Pond aluminum 482 FE
Best quarter mile 11.42 117
Best eighth mile 7.29 @ 94
Street legal thru mufflers

glen b henderson

I have a picture that I just took of a MSD in a 57 at Columbus. I will try to get it posted when we get home tomorrow.  It is tight, but it will fit without trimming. Another had one but he had trimmed the pinch seam to make removing the cap more user friendly.
Freedom is not Free

glen b henderson

Lets see if I can get this to post
Freedom is not Free

glen b henderson

OK it worked, this is MSD dist in 57 Ranchero, hope this helps you.
Freedom is not Free

suede57ford

MSD used my car for the make the original prototype MSD Y-Block Dist.    They are taller than the original dist, but do fit.   I did clearance my Blue Thunder intake a little with the die grinder to make a little more clearance for rotating.

I also trimmed some off about a 2" strip off the firewall lip in a curve and refolded the lip to look very factory.   A necessary mod Ford should have done, as it really makes getting the original ford dist. and especially the MSD out easier. 

A very nice piece, that is easy to adjust and works very well.

I also ordered the black cap, to look more factory.  Plus I eliminated the wire nipple retainer and found some nice black HEI style boot with no nipple that actually look like the boot type ends instead of the GM HEI look.

Mine could be mistaken for a stocker at first glance now.

Mummert is a great choice for your engine build as well.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429