News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Ranchero Trailer Hitch

Started by VwDrvFnd, 2014-09-12 18:31

Previous topic - Next topic

VwDrvFnd

Here are some pictures of the Trailer Hitch installed on my 57 Ranchero. Theses were asked for in the "Wanted" section. Enjoy!

Full Rear

looking down

under the bumper

across the bottom

Driver side

Passenger Side

Installer (don't ask me when)

Hitch Type

I have a rust hole in my passanger side inner fender well, It's 58 years old what do you expect?

VwDrvFnd

The Installer is still in business!
I am not sure what years my car spent in Washington State so no telling what year it was installed!
http://www.mannswelding.com/index.html
I have a rust hole in my passanger side inner fender well, It's 58 years old what do you expect?

John Palmer

Thanks for the photos.

I'm curious as to what the two 1/2" by 2" bars that are welded to the frame side near both rear spring hanger's are?  Ironically, my Ranch Wagon had remnants of the same two bars hanging down from the frame.  They look to me, like part of a diagonal brace, but they would need to go under the gas tank.

VwDrvFnd

My initial thought is somthing to do with exhaust hangers. i dont have a full exhaust system on the car so i am unsure.

Quote from: John Palmer on 2014-09-12 20:50
Thanks for the photos.

I'm curious as to what the two 1/2" by 2" bars that are welded to the frame side near both rear spring hanger's are?  Ironically, my Ranch Wagon had remnants of the same two bars hanging down from the frame.  They look to me, like part of a diagonal brace, but they would need to go under the gas tank.

Lou

Thanks for the pictures. We appreciate you taking the time to accommodate us.

John Palmer

Quote from: VwDrvFnd on 2014-09-12 21:17
My initial thought is somthing to do with exhaust hangers. i dont have a full exhaust system on the car so i am unsure.

I'm thinking they were not factory, "definitely aftermarket" added at some point, and way "too heavy" for exhaust hangers.  The mystery continues.

Raven Rider

Many thanks for taking the time to post pictures for us.

RICH MUISE

Additional brackets for safety chains?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

Those brackets have me baffled too. Not for safety chains way out by the spring hangers, the hitch has two holes for those..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

SkylinerRon

Brackets look like their for a different hitch.
Also tailgate lifts use these but, very doubtful here.

Ron.

Limey57

Thanks for sharing, something I want to get round to doing for mine. 
Gary

1957 Ranchero

djfordmanjack

Thx for the pics. I have a vintage hitch for my Wagon and will try to reinforce it a bit, yours looks very rigid.
Judging from the pics I think you'd better tighten your bumperbracket bolts before towing anything... :002:

VwDrvFnd

Yea lookis like everything back there could use a good once over and maybe some new grade 8 bolts. i was originally going to remove the hitch but i think i might just keep it as part of the rich history of my car. i have all new bumper bolts, going to pull it all off and clean it up before i do anything with it. needs to be rewired to.

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2014-09-17 01:31
Thx for the pics. I have a vintage hitch for my Wagon and will try to reinforce it a bit, yours looks very rigid.
Judging from the pics I think you'd better tighten your bumperbracket bolts before towing anything... :002: