News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Assembly manual?

Started by Limey57, 2014-09-16 16:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey57

Is there an assembly manual available for the 57 Ford range?  I've got the workshop manual, but now I'm starting to re-assembly the Ranchero it would help if I had an assembly manual as I didn't take the car apart!  Some bits are obvious, but the dashboard & heater assembly etc are a bit more challenging and it would be nice to be able to avoid having to refit everything three or four times just to get it right.  I had one for my previous build (1960 Impala) and it was invaluable but I haven't found anything for the 57 Ford range.

Thanks
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Zapato

This one area where Chevy has Ford beat all to HELL. There are assembly manuals available for many GM products, tri5s are well covered, but as far as I know no such thing exists for our cars. The shop manuals are helpful and if you can find a factory parts manual they're real helpful as you can see right order of parts or even just identify them. Not to mention finding that you have one or more pieces of the puzzle missing.

I've asked book vendors at swap meets and the answer is always no, but since hope rings eternal I keep asking.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

canadian_ranchero

there are 2 available from jim osborn.a electrical assembly am0183,and a body trim and sealant am0182.got mine off of ebay 

hiball3985

This is the best $20 you can spend if you have to do electrical. I had to rewire about 50% that previous owners butchered. They are large and laminated, perfect for old eyes and using in the shop. I have since purchased one for all my cars..
http://www.classiccarwiring.com/
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

MrArt2u

That's great that you posted that link to the wiring diagrams. I agree, very important to have. Just yesterday I found a 1957 Ford wiring diagram online. I downloaded it and started modifying it to match our wagon (No overdrive, no generator, no voltage regulator-GM alternator conversion, no ballast resister, no electric temperature or oil pressure senders, added pertronix, added voltmeter, added electric choke, etc.) and I made note of any new/different wire colors. My goal is to have a personalized wiring diagram I can laminate and keep in the car as well as everywhere I could possible look for it (Service manual, Motors manual, bathroom "library" etc)

I intend to add a fuse block (or new complete wiring harness) in the near future. That would mean many circuits and wire colors would change and this new diagram will be even more helpful.

Lucky'57

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2014-09-17 08:04
This is the best $20 you can spend if you have to do electrical. http://www.classiccarwiring.com/

Got a big one coming in the mail. Thanks for the lead.  :canada:
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

Limey57

Thanks for all the advice!
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Frankenstein57

Quote from: canadian_ranchero on 2014-09-16 17:56
there are 2 available from jim osborn.a electrical assembly am0183,and a body trim and sealant am0182.got mine off of ebay
These are both handy to have, the diagrams are well done, wiring is detailed well. The diagrams show all the other systems as well.    Mark

Jeff Norwell

I have bought these from Osborn..best money i spent for my car.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Limey57

The Osborn ones look good, I've just looked at them on EBay, but they don't do international shipping.  I've sent them a begging message to see if I can persuade them to post to the UK.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Limey57

Result!!!!  Seller had no problem shipping to the UK, body and electrical manuals now ordered, hopefully now it'll save me doing the job more than once after I realise everything I've just fitted has to come off to fit something else.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

Almost.....unfortunatly,the trim and sealant manual doesn't cover a whole lot from the firewall forward. Other than that, it's loaded with great info.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Limey57

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2014-09-25 16:51
Almost.....unfortunatly,the trim and sealant manual doesn't cover a whole lot from the firewall forward. Other than that, it's loaded with great info.

No problem, I'll fit a 32 Ford grille shell, a beam axle and run it fenderless!!!   :003:
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Zapato

Quote from: Limey57 on 2014-09-25 17:14
No problem, I'll fit a 32 Ford grille shell, a beam axle and run it fenderless!!!   :003:

Believe someone did one similar with an Edsel grille.......

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72