News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Mustang front brakes/ MKVII rear?

Started by MeanGene, 2014-09-22 10:15

Previous topic - Next topic

MeanGene

Just saw a post in a search where a guy used Mustang front spindles/ brakes- didn't say what year. I happen to have a complete assembly out of a 70 Mustang that I parted out, spindles, brakes, power steering, master with booster, even the a-arms still attached. Wonder if it would (minus the a-arms of course) all fit to the 57 suspension? Pretty sure it even has the PS pump still attached. Anybody used this setup?
I also still have my complete 88 Lincoln MkVII LSC that that the ex-gf pulled out in front of a minvan- still drives, but enough damage that it was totaled, and I bought it back. Car had awesome brakes, and the LSC also had lower gears in the disc- brake rearend, seems like it's limited slip too. Width should be close? Of course, if I had any brains, I would put the whole driveline in the fiddyseven, it has the 5.0 HO with stainless headers, AOD trans etc.- but then again, I have all those 427's, already have FPA FE headers, three-dueces, CalCustom covers, and a 3+1 OD toploader... And of course the Lincoln has a power rack & pinon setup...

gasman826

First, the disclaimer.  I have not done this swap.  I think the '70 Mustang spindles will fit '57.  Granada spindles fit '65-'70 Mustangs.  Granada spindles fit '57s.  So, my logic is that the '70 setup would fit the '57 with maybe some tie rod end swapping.  The Granada disc brake system is much cleaner than the '70 Mustang but should work well.  You'll likely want to upgrade to power assist master cylinder.

MeanGene

Thanks gas, yep, I have the matching master and booster from the Mustang, slider valve and indicator switch etc. Also the entire Stang PS system is still attached, I pulled the whole assembly out of the Stang as a unit- wondering if the whole Stang assembly would work- pretty sure the pump and hoses are even still attached. Also have the power rack setup in the MKVII, and also have a plain-jane Pinto-type rack laying around- looking at all options, including using the whole driveline from the MKVII LSC with a simplified hot rod harness

canadian_ranchero

the lower ball joint taper in the spindle needs to be reemed bigger on the mustang granada spindles to fit the 1957 ball joint

MeanGene

Yep, but will the Stang tie rods/slave cylinder PS setup fit in there, complete? I have the whole thing, hub to hub, pulled it out of the car complete- even the pump and hoses are still attached.

Ford Blue blood

A little heads up, those racks (MK, M II or Pinto) will not work in the 57.  They are front steer and the 57 is a rear steer.  The rack that all the kits use are mid size mid 80s GM line that is mounted to the fire wall in those cars.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

canadian_ranchero

if you are thinking of using the 1970 mustang power steering you will need to check the width between the pitman and the idler arm.it must be the same as the 57

rmk57

1970-73 Mustang spindles will work but you have to ream out the bottom ball joint. Had to buy a 7.5 degree tapered ball joint reamer.
I used 1969 spindles for my swap. The difference between the two is the spindle pin being thicker on the 70-73, the 67-69 are the same size as the 57 ford. The 70's ones would be preferred, just buy the correct bearings. Ride height also stays the same as original.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

jseth83

I wanted to jump in because I'd like to do a disc brake conversion on mine, but I would prefer to keep the stock ride height.  I'm not sure I completely understood the last post.  Will the ride height be the same with both the 67-69 and the 70-73 Mustangs?  I wanted to keep the stock manual steering.
57 wagon, sedan, and TBird 
67 Mustang

rmk57

68-73 Mustang, 68-71 Torino disc brake spindles are much identical. All will work and your ride height doesn't change. I used 69 Mustang spindles, but had to ream the bottom ball joint out to fit the larger 57 ball joint.

Also look at Cougar, Montego, maybe even Mavricks and some of the later Falcons. One of the Hollander interchange manuals would be handy to have when hunting for swap parts.

Randy
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

MeanGene

Haven't looked at if of course for compatibility, but it makes you wonder if you could just adapt the Mustang ball joint to the 57 lower arm? Seems easier if it would fit without much work- or a similar joint with the same taper

jseth83

Thanks guys.  That's interesting.  Actually one time I put front spindles on my '57 from a 78 Grenada.  I reamed out the lower spindle to fit the ball joint.  They worked great but I HATED the height drop so I switched back to the original '57 drums for the time being.  I thought the '78 Grenada was the same as the early Mustangs; I had put a set of those spindles on my '68 Mustang and it still sits high in the front.  It didn't seem like I reamed out the old pair enough to make a significant difference.....I guess I'm confused somewhere....
57 wagon, sedan, and TBird 
67 Mustang

57AGIN

MeanGene:

My 57 had the Granada front discs when I first put it on the road in 2004, but as time went on I kept hitting my electric exhaust cutouts on supermarket speed bumps and got tired of replacing them.  So when the car was apart in 2011 getting painted, etc., I installed the later model Mustang Kelsey-Hayes front discs, a multi piston setup using the stock 57 Ford front spindles.  My rear discs are from an 88 T-Bird.  I'm very happy with the results.  The car stops really well and the ride height is better and now I can get my rear tires out from under the car without having to drop the shocks and rear springs.

I hope this helps, I'm not sure if this reply is off topic or not.  If so, sorry.

Bob
57 AGIN

MeanGene

OK, what vintage are the "later" Mustang fronts, and what did you use for caliper attachment?

65kcode

I am using the 89 Lincoln Mark VII rear brakes on mine. I used the bracket kit from ultrastang.com.. http://www.ultrastang.com/products1.php

The kit went right together after I realized there was a Right and a Left side on the calipers... :001: I haven't driven it yet, but in the spring I will.

I used spindles and disks from a 71 LTD/Galaxie on the front end. Only problem with those are the center hubs (where the bearings go inside) are thicker than the Mustangs are. I can't get my Eleanor wheels to fit it.

Kevin