News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Mustang front brakes/ MKVII rear?

Started by MeanGene, 2014-09-22 10:15

Previous topic - Next topic

57AGIN

MeanGene:

"OK, what vintage are the "later" Mustang fronts, and what did you use for caliper attachment?"  The answer to the later Mustang fronts is a 1967 Kelsey-Hayes Disc Brake package available from ABS Brakes in the city of Orange, CA.  The attached photo shows the caliper attachment hardware and the stock 57 Ford spindle.  I've been driving this combo for several years, before adding the rear disc brakes to the car earlier this year.  The combo worked well with the rear drums and works great with the 4-wheel disc setup I'm now running.

Bob
57 AGIN

MeanGene

There ya go- so it would seem that I could use my complete 70 disc brake/ power steering setup on the 57 spindles, if I could get a mounting kit from them? I even have the master and booster setup etc, steering pump still attached etc
I also have a set of those huge 69 MKIII front discs like they used on the Trans-Am cars, spindles, hats and calipers all together. Going to try to use late wheels, so the big hub should not be a problem

57AGIN

MeanGene:

Sounds reasonable, but I only have experience with this one swap package and was working with the people at ABS Power Brakes directly.  Since they make the kits putting several different brake packages together to make a good aftermarket setup they really know what works together.  I'd recommend you check with a brake shop or mechanic you trust to tell you whether what you are putting together will work well together.  As I said what you are proposing sounds reasonable.  Rick Crawford was actually doing the install of the Kits supplied by ABS Power Brakes and he made it look so easy and whenever we hit a glitch, he was able to figure out what caused the glitch.  With my mechanical skills, all I was able to provide was a wallet, helping hands and take a lot of photos of the before, during and after results.

My setup includes a ABS Polished Aluminum Master Cylinder, a roll control (line lock) at the proportioning valve an electric hydraulic power brake set up mounted under the driver seat, the Kelsey -Hayes front disc brake calipers and drilled & slotted rotors (fitting inside a Cragar S/S 15 inch rim) and the rear 88 T-Bird disc brake setup (also fitting inside a Cragar S/S rim) with a Control Cables supplied emergency brake cable hook up and everything works together smoothly.

Bob
57 AGIN

rmk57

The 67 Mustang spindle Is totally different than the 70 disc brake spindle, along with all the brake hardware. I've never heard of anyone selling kits to adapt 70-73 Mustang disc brake hardware to stock 57 spindles.

There is a company called Scarebird that sells a disc brake kit for late 50's Fords. I think they use Ford Ranger rotors and Chevy s-10 calipers.

The Lincoln stuff may work, not sure how big and heavy it is compared to he Ford stuff.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429