News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

57 Ranchero based on Fairlane?

Started by jvo, 2014-09-29 09:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Not sure if this will help at all...

Ford Blue blood

John, hope these help.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Ford Blue blood

and these.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

jvo

Whoa!! Thank god for this forum.  Thanks guys, that makes it a LOT clearer. 
The pic above with the brace, the one with the sort of orange glow in the middle, totally clears that one up for me.  Mine was totally gone from above the middle to the bottom.  I would never have guessed that it ties the bed side to the lower inside of the ?? whatever you want to call that lower inner fender panel.  I guess I will have to make mine do that also, but without these pics, I would never have guessed that was how it was.

And, thanks for the close up of the trim piece for the tailgate opening.  I can see now how I need to make that piece also.  I will use the top portion of my existing piece, but will make the bottom of it to that shape.  I wonder why Ford made the little "dogleg" on the bottom of that trim piece like that?  Regardless, I will try to duplicate that best I can from your pics.  Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. 

One more thing. Bill, in your middle pic, where that little dogleg is on the tailgate opening, there is a small hole that I assume has a rubber bumper of sorts to fit in that recess.  Anyone got a pic of what that rubber bumper is, and how big it is? In 57chero's pic of the tailgate opening, it shows what I assume is a little black rubber "bumper" or something.   I'll need to buy them somewhere, and I'll need to size that metal piece as I make it to make sure it fits.  Thanks again.
If I could roll back the years, back when I was young and limber, loose as ashes in the wind, had no irons in the fire.... wish I'd done things different, but wishin' don't make it so. ( Ian Tyson)

djfordmanjack

Great metalwork on those heavy gauge corners !

jvo

I got the tailgate inner panel rust free over the weekend.  Starting on the outer skin today, before I paint the inside and put it back together ( assuming I can find all the hardware that goes inside it somewhere in my shop).  The inside I didn't worry too much about, just ground the high spots off the welds cause nobody is going to see that anyway.  Outside is pretty smooth. 

I ground all the old bondo off the outer skin, and it didn't look too bad.  I had this stuff sandblasted several years ago when I started, but after the bondo was removed it looks kinda like a mini moonscape.  This is bare metal, sanded with a hard sanding disc to show the highs and lows.  Today's project will be to metal finish it, and replace about a 4 inch square area on the one corner that is pitted quite badly.  The rust on the other end, is only surface, as it got a little wet in storage. We will see just how smooth I can get it in the next few hours. 

I also got the rear crossmember somewhat done that the tailgate bolts onto.  Don't have any pics of that just yet. 
If I could roll back the years, back when I was young and limber, loose as ashes in the wind, had no irons in the fire.... wish I'd done things different, but wishin' don't make it so. ( Ian Tyson)

Ford Blue blood

John that was a rubber bumper.  Have not looked for them yet.  I would expect them to be the same for a couple of years.  The 57 wagon I had did not have them nor does the 60 wagon I have.  The rust pits around the hole will give an idea of the original diameter.  There was a Phillips head screw with a flat washer and rubber under it that I assume was what was left of the original  rubber bumper.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

jvo

Spent about 5 hours yesterday on the outer skin.  Got it nice and smooth.  I use a stainless steel ruler to find the highs and lows in the panel.  If I can see light under the ruler, I bring down the highs, and bring up the low spots in the panel.  I used a slapper and dollies and a shrinking disc.  I can live with a little bondo, but I am a far better metal shaper than sculptor.  I have trouble getting rid of sanding scratches and pits and such when I put bondo on a panel.  And, I only put bondo on my own stuff, not for other people.  I tell everyone I don't do drywall in my house, and I don't do drywall work on your car. 
But seriously, here are a few pics of the finished tailgate panel.  Turned out pretty good.

rmk57

Nice work. Is that a shrinking disc on the angle grinder?
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

jvo

Good eye.  Yes, it is one of Wray Schelin's shrinking discs.  I'll add that I usually put it on the floor when I reach for my wet rag.  I have had a couple of them fall off the work table, and its instant death wobble after that.  They bend pretty easily when they fall, if you can bend it back again, good luck.  I've had to buy a new one twice because of that, and that is why its on the floor in case you were wondering.

rmk57

I had borrowed one from a body man friend a few years back on exactly the same tailgate (58 Edsel wagon) you have there to fix some previous damage. They really do work well.
I never got it quite as perfect as yours there, but pretty close.

One question. Did you ever buy a rebuilt 272 Yblock from a guy in the lower mainland a few years back?
Never mind, the fellow I sold the engine to was from Red Deer.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

junior58

Any updates/progress on this?
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

jvo

Well, its been two years.  Life got in the way, screwed my back up, rested, healed, did other people's stuff. 

Finally got it pushed back into the shop.  Last I did two years ago, was to cut the back end of the roof loose and raise it up half an inch.  I think this is where it will live, but its only blocked there till I get the box sides done. 

Cutting and thinking and looking.  Mocked up the tailgate side, and I think I have it where it will live also.  I bolted the Ranchero bumper to the existing factory bolt holes for the Fairlane frame.  Will probably move it ahead in inch or so once the new roll pan is built. 

The brown piece in the one pic is the Ranchero bumper whatchamacallit.  Its in decent shape so that I won't have to totally build it new. 

With the original Ranchero piece laid over top of the Fairlane fin, you can see the difference in the two cars. 

alvin stadel

Hello John, glad to see you are back.  I was beginning to think that all the parts you got from were going to end up on your estate sale.  Take care, Alvin

djfordmanjack

Wow there is a lot of work involved !
great progress on the tailgate !