News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

front springs ?

Started by Zapato, 2014-10-01 15:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapato

anyone have a part number for a variable rate coil spring that will maintain stock height, car will have a sbf/fmx.  TIA

Zap- :unitedstates: :006:

Can't believe I posted SBC instead of SBF. My apologies to anyone whose stomach might have been disturbed.  :iamwithstupid:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

jseth83

I was about to ask that same question.  Did you ever find an interchange?  I'd be happy with "about" the same height.
57 wagon, sedan, and TBird 
67 Mustang

lalessi1

I know there are automotive spring manufacturers that would probably be able to tell one if it is doable and what to use. Some of those guys offer new springs for classic cars as well, springs can be very application specific. Ford used quite a few different springs for the '57s depending on model, engine, transmission, and equipment. New springs are pretty reasonable cost wise if I remember...(there goes that memory thing) ...and they are made on an individual order basis anyway. 
Lynn

RICH MUISE

First place I'd call would be Eatons in Detroit. The website is on our links list.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

There's a boat load of front spring discussion archived on this site...OEM, Eaton Spring, and Aerostar swaps plus OEM charts.

RICH MUISE

I think the issue is the "variable rate"    quite frankly, I don't even know what they are, except apparently they're on some of the newer performance cars.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

lalessi1

Variable rate springs have a different compression rates at different stages of compression. This is accomplished by varying the spring diameter and coil spacing as the spring is formed. It may not be practical for a 57 because the suspension travel is fairly small.
Lynn

jseth83

I could drop the variable rate as long as they are stock ride height.  I've been searching older posts but it seems like the discussions always trail off to dropped springs.  I may just end up ordering stock replacements if I can't find something better.
57 wagon, sedan, and TBird 
67 Mustang

Zapato

Quote from: jseth83 on 2015-01-30 21:56
I could drop the variable rate as long as they are stock ride height.  I've been searching older posts but it seems like the discussions always trail off to dropped springs.  I may just end up ordering stock replacements if I can't find something better.

my car already sits low enough ( 3" channel ) that there's no way i'd even consider Aerostar or any lowering springs. will keep looking. stock height is what am looking for and if variable rate is a possibility that will be great.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72