News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Bushing or Bearing for steering column modification

Started by MrArt2u, 2014-10-17 12:45

Previous topic - Next topic

MrArt2u

Someone earlier had asked about a possible bearing or bushing for the end of their steering column when modifying it for a rack and pinion or other power steering modification. I am currently working on my power steering conversion (ABS kit) and Pedro at ABS hooked me up with this Flange Bearing yesterday when I went to his shop. It is number HW-13C. The OD is 1-3/8", The ID is 3/4"  It looks like it will be perfect for our columns.

57tudor

MrArt2u,

I'm the one that enquired about the bearing for the column. I looked up the company that sells the bearing and discovered that they are a block from Mothers Polish, Inc. in Huntington Beach, Ca. and Gold Coast Awards where I was today picking up the Award Plaques for the Wings Wheels Rotors and Expo Show. I drove over to the Company called Eureka Bearing Inc. 5272 System Dr. Huntington Beach, Ca. 92649  714-895-3555 Contact person is Brian Martin, Office Manager. For $2.50 I had my bearing in hand with some information to go. You can order this on line also. I have attached some information with web addresses and info how to order.

Many Thanks for the bearing info to get me started.

Rick
57 Tudor

RICH MUISE

I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

MrArt2u

Rick,

I'm glad the info could help you. I also found these exact bearings at my local Ace Hardware in the metal trays-o-everything section (you know, the section with cotters, o-rings, roll pins, cork plugs-EVERYTHING!). They're listed as lawnmower bearings. I was looking for a flangeless alternative I could set in to the column in case I had to get creative with the steering column. They had the correct OD but not the right ID. I'll know more once I actually finish the project.

Cheers,
Art.

clusterbuster

That info comes at a perfect time. I found a used manual  steering box out of a 62 Galaxy on E bay and bought it to convert my Custom over to that box. It doesn't come with the steering shaft, so I am going to try to use a coupler and column bearing on my shaft to do the job. Hopefully I can make every thing work, as it is standard shift. Anyone who has converted the standard shift column over to a later manual box could perhaps give me a few tips from their experience.

clusterbuster

Found the HW -13C flange bearing on E bay tonight and a steering shaft coupler as well. Ordered them. Thanks for the bearing info.

BBoswell

Going back to the first post . . . I have found Pedro at ABS to be a wealth of knowledge. I call him up, tell him what I have and what I'm wanting to do and he tells me what I need. So far he has furnished the power brake booster and master cylinder set-up for both my ProStreet Ranchero and Custom 300 (different set-ups due to space issues), the Galaxie steering box I had in my Ranchero (until I switched to Rack) and rebuilt my power steering pump . . . and everything worked and fit like it was supposed to first time. And the pricing and turn-around has been very good. Just saying.

Rancheroguy2

Was the shaft cut and or shortened when adding the coupler to the new box?
Anyone replaced the Stock steering Column with a new aftermarket tilt Column connected to the stock PS Box?
58 Front body conversion to 57, 302-4V/C6
In Restoration now to duplicate Flames on Pearl White w/ All new Black w/ Orange accents interior, Vintage A/C, Elect windows & Wipers, New gauge pnl & wiring.

MrArt2u

Yes sir, the shaft has to be cut from the old box to install the new box. Additionally, it has to be shortened to fit. In my case (new steering box) I had to cut the outer column housing to just about the firewall. I am using a floor shift so that was ok. I believe a rack and pinion install doesn't have to be shortened as much and it would leave you with enough column in the engine compartment to fit the shift mechanism.

In order to attach the DD coupler to my 57 hollow shaft, I had the original shaft cut and chamfered then welded on to a solid 3/4" chamfered shaft (the chamfereing is for better weld penetration) I then had the 3/4" solid section machined to DD. I ended up using a rag joint because it was a straight shot in to my box, that will help cut down on some road/pump vibrations. The ABS kit I'm using originally came with a U-joint but it was unnecessary for the straight shot and about 3/4" longer than the rag joint. 

I've used ididit columns in several other cars and, I have to admit, they're pretty awesome. Unfortunately, they didn't offer one with the correct Ford steering wheel splines and we really don't want an aftermarket steering wheel. Unless we decide to run the 15" smaller wheel on the market which, according to his ad-I haven't looked in to this, will work with both stock AND aftermarket columns.

I'm focusing on installing the disc brakes at the moment just to wrap up the undercarriage work so I'll likely get back to the steering column in the next couple of weeks. Next steps are the final precise cut (I'm sneaking up on it) and modifying the horn circuit to work with the new configuration. I'll try to add some pictures soon.

Art.