News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

One Last Time ----Tire & wheel Size ??

Started by kens65fb, 2014-10-17 18:18

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Kevin, if you still have that wheel/tire combination from the Mustang, would you measure the outside diameter of the front tire for me? I'm putting a battery box partially into the wheelwell and need to double check clearance. I think the size you mentioned is pretty close to what I'm hoping to end up with.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

65kcode

Rich,

The 225/45/17 Kuhmo Ecsta SPT  I have are about 24.5". I have found over the years that tire sizes are actually different depending on the brand even though they are the same .../../17

Kevin

BBoswell

I have posted this information once before but since my car is a daily driver and I have had no tire clearance problems I thought it was worth putting my specs out there again. I'm running American Eagle 111 Series wheels all around on my Custom 300. They have a 3.850" backspacing. My 300 has Granada disc brakes on front and drum brakes on rear. Front tires are P195/65-R15 and the rear are P215/75-R15. No clearance problems . . . but with the tires I?m running on the back they are tight to the outside. You could run a narrower rear tire and have more clearance but with a 460 Lincoln engine and posi rear end I wanted something that would give me a little more traction.

RICH MUISE

Quote from: 65kcode on 2014-10-24 15:24
Rich,

The 225/45/17 Kuhmo Ecsta SPT  I have are about 24.5". I have found over the years that tire sizes are actually different depending on the brand even though they are the same .../../17

Kevin
Thanks....appreciate the time!

65kcode

hiball3985

Quote from: 65kcode on 2014-10-24 15:24
Rich,

Kevin
I ran into this when I installed 215's, they are now the size of a 205 and I could have used 225's  :005:. The tire dealer I use, a small mom & pop shop, told me all the tire manufactures are making them smaller then they use to be. Save a $1 on each tire and after you sell a few million it adds up. I noticed the same thing with fan belts, the same part number replacement for an old belt is now narrower.......
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

BBoswell

Here's an old hot rodders trick. Because the right look with big and little tire combinations on a hot rod is so important the speedo in never correct. To correct this we take the cars to a speedometer shop and let them do all the math and build us a small inline gear box. Not too expensive and allows you to have the exact look you want.

RICH MUISE

LOL...here's a NEW hot rodder's trick...get a digital speedometer (or a gps speedometer)...push a button, drive a mile, push it again...your speedometer is calibrated. One of the advantages of doing a restomod.

hiball3985

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2014-10-25 18:28
LOL...here's a NEW hot rodder's trick...get a digital speedometer (or a gps speedometer)...push a button, drive a mile, push it again...your speedometer is calibrated. One of the advantages of doing a restomod.
LOL, we'll believe it when we see it. If the reading is taken from the trans output shaft and you are running the lower 57 rear end gears all your friends will be impressed when they go for a ride and you are doing 140 mph LOL. What is the top speed those digital register?
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

I think mine's 140 top. I may be wrong, but I thought that was the whole point of driving the measured mile between pushing buttons....to set the speedometer regardless of gearing/tire size. My book of times I've been wrong is getting pretty thick....I went beyond just a list a long time ago.

hiball3985

Rich, that maybe, I haven't a clue how this new electronics works LOL. I'm old school and just swap a different tooth speedo gear.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Zapato

Rich, you're right this time............

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Ecode70D

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2014-10-25 21:01
Rich, that maybe, I haven't a clue how this new electronics works LOL. I'm old school and just swap a different tooth speedo gear.

Jim  We are both in the same boat.  I do things the old school way also.

Bob...That 57 Custom 300 of yours is absolutely beautiful.