News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Anyone using the T5z?

Started by DanTudor57, 2014-10-17 23:49

Previous topic - Next topic

DanTudor57

I've moved into piecing together a t5 swap for my '57 sedan.

Previously I did this t5 setup on my Ranch wagon using a 93 Cobra T5, it had a 4:11 differential gear. I never had the opportunity to enjoy this swap. That '93 T5 had this gearing: 3.35   1.99   1.33   1.00   0.68

The ford motorsport aftermarket t5-z  (M-7003-Z), as I understand it has more aggressive gearing:  2.95  1.94  1.34  1.00  0.63

I have the opportunity to purchase a t5z at a reasonable price and am looking for some feedback from anyone that might have one of these behind a yBlock on one of our heavy cars...

First -- does anyone have firsthand experience with the t5z? -- Any comments on performance driveability, etc.?

Next, I'm not at all familiar with the implications of the different gear ratios on these transmissions. I will be running the stock 9 inch rear end, but not certain of the gearing in that.

I'm a bit worried about the differences in that first and overdrive gearing between the  cobra-spec and the t5z.
3.35   1.99   1.33   1.00   0.68
vs
2.95  1.94  1.34  1.00  0.63

What can I expect as far as take off performance and overdrive mileage performance? I am not a racer, but I also don't want to make my 312 scream to get into second gear. I really prefer a quiet and low rumble in my Yblock.

thanks for any input.

gasman826

Quote from: DanTudor57 on 2014-10-17 23:49
... on one of our heavy cars...

hey...watch who you're calling fat.  Curb weight for a '57 Custom Tudor is lighter than a Cobra Mustang.  Ranch Wagon might be heavier but very competitive with the Cobra.  Even with carbon fiber, plastics, aluminum, and high tech designs, manufacturers can't keep adding toys without packing on the pounds!

petew

I'm a month late since I just noticed the thread but I have some input for you. I am running a T-5 in my 56 Merc behind a basically stock 312 . The car has a 3.15 rear and it is a pleasure to drive.

The tranny has the 2.95 first gear and steps right out with those 3.15 in the rear. It isn't a drag racer but considering its weight is runs very well. Best thing is 75 mph at about 2000 rpms .

The ratios seem quite well suited to the y blocks. The original rear in the car was a 4.09 and with that rear the T-5 first gear was useless and is much better suited to the 3.15's

I have collected all of the necessary parts to convert my 55 Tbird from a Fordomatic to a T-5 , I love the overdrive and having 5 gears instead of just 2.

DanTudor57

Thanks Petew,

As all too good to be true things  go, I went to pick up the trans and it was not what it had been claimed to have been. Oh well.

I am definitely going with the T5 and to that end I've been collecting what I need, i have teh adaptor, a larger flywheel, the  manual bellhousing, and a few of the other necessities. I am missing the transmission!

Anyone have recommendations on a respectable T5 builder in the Central/Southern California area?  A new t5 7003-Z is really not in the budget. A good rebuild will not hurt the pocketbook as much.

petew

Get on your local Craigs List and you should find them by the dozen. A lot of the 5.0 Mustang guy dump them when they up their horsepower. Both my units came from local Mustang guys, I had a local transmission shop perform a reseal / inspection for about $100.00 and I was in business. Just make sure the transmission you select fits within the parameters of Mummert's adapter kit.

Pete

lalessi1

Quote from: DanTudor57 on 2014-10-17 23:49
I've moved into piecing together a t5 swap for my '57 sedan.

Previously I did this t5 setup on my Ranch wagon using a 93 Cobra T5, it had a 4:11 differential gear. I never had the opportunity to enjoy this swap. That '93 T5 had this gearing: 3.35   1.99   1.33   1.00   0.68

The ford motorsport aftermarket t5-z  (M-7003-Z), as I understand it has more aggressive gearing:  2.95  1.94  1.34  1.00  0.63

I have the opportunity to purchase a t5z at a reasonable price and am looking for some feedback from anyone that might have one of these behind a yBlock on one of our heavy cars...

First -- does anyone have firsthand experience with the t5z? -- Any comments on performance driveability, etc.?

Next, I'm not at all familiar with the implications of the different gear ratios on these transmissions. I will be running the stock 9 inch rear end, but not certain of the gearing in that.

I'm a bit worried about the differences in that first and overdrive gearing between the  cobra-spec and the t5z.
3.35   1.99   1.33   1.00   0.68
vs
2.95  1.94  1.34  1.00  0.63

What can I expect as far as take off performance and overdrive mileage performance? I am not a racer, but I also don't want to make my 312 scream to get into second gear. I really prefer a quiet and low rumble in my Yblock.

thanks for any input.

What is more important than the transmission gear ratio is the total overall ratio for your car. You simply multiply the transmission gear ratio by the rear end ratio to see how the car will be geared in each gear. A close ratio transmission transmission works better with a low (high numerically) rear end. Tire diameter can affect the overall "gearing" as well. It is easy to calculate speeds in each gear for any engine rpm. 
Lynn