News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

57 Steering box

Started by Ecode70D, 2014-10-18 21:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecode70D

I'm getting ready to do a steering box swap and was wondering what you guys use for oil.  Thanks for any and all answers.   Jay

Frankenstein57

Jay, when I swapped my box out I used that Lucas oil stabilizer, Mark

petew

I fill all of mine with STP , slippery as hell and it stays in there. If it was a new box I would probably use whatever the manufacturer called for

Ecode70D

Guys
Thanks for the  suggestions on the steering box oil.
Jay

clusterbuster

Jay,
What manual steering box are you swapping to ? Are you going to a later model one? I have to do something with mine in the future.They want $490.for a reman 58-62 full size Ford, and if I don't have a 58-62 core, it's an extra $175.

Ecode70D

I'm using a 57 steering box.   If I was smart, I would have saved all the 58 boxes that I had when I started my 57 project 15+ years ago.   Jay

Zapato

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2014-10-21 21:06
I'm using a 57 steering box.   If I was smart, I would have saved all the 58 boxes that I had when I started my 57 project 15+ years ago.   Jay

The ''ignorance of youth'' does come back to bite us hard every so often. I know from experience.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Ecode70D

Zap
  Long before I joined this site, I was mostly into 58 Fords and had a back yard full of them.  It was after I got rid of them, that  I joined 57 Fordforever
This is  where I learned about the recirculating bearing 58 steering gear boxes.  At the moment I'm freshening up a 57 box that is better than the one that is in my car.   Jay