News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Third brake light

Started by RICH MUISE, 2014-10-21 21:34

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

A year or two back we had a thread going on my looking for suggestions for a "different" third brake light. I searched, couldn't find that thread. I found something in Phoenix @ Socal I'll be happy with, it's sure going to look alot better than that ugly 80's Cadilac I put on the first time. It's a '39 Chev tailight...wish it was a Ford...but what the hey.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

That will be cool! If it came with a bulb it may be 6V..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

I'll check that out...probably is a 6v. Thanks

Ford Blue blood

Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

I may do that...esp. since it's LED. Those are a good price for LED's. It's a little shorter and stubbier than the longer Chev tailight, but would still work well. Heck, I'm not even going to mention the Chevy mirrors I bought for the car!...at least until I figure out how to disguise the bowtie emblem that's embossed in the housings. Actually I think Socal had the Ford tailights as well, I just liked the longer housing on the Chevs. Their LED versions were not in stock and were 90.
It was just a matter of decision time, and I had too many minor things I was spending way too much time making a choice.

hiball3985

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2014-10-22 13:31
I may do that...esp. since it's LED. Those are a good price for LED's. It's a little shorter and stubbier than the longer Chev tailight, but would still work well. Heck, I'm not even going to mention the Chevy mirrors I bought for the car!...at least until I figure out how to disguise the bowtie emblem that's embossed in the housings. Actually I think Socal had the Ford tailights as well, I just liked the longer housing on the Chevs. Their LED versions were not in stock and were 90.
It was just a matter of decision time, and I had too many minor things I was spending way too much time making a choice.
I'm putting Cheevie mirrors on mine, I've seen them on EvilBay without the bowtie
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

After reading the recent thread on mirrors I decided I needed a large mirror with a column that slanted away from the windows. For visability, I probably should have gone with a rectangular mirror, but it just didn't feel right for our body style.The '67 Chevy mirror additionally had the swivel post offcenter from the mirror, which gave me a little more to play with if needed, particularly if I decide to put them on the fenders rather than the doors. I've got to look at more pics with fender mounts to see if they look right outboard from the rib running down the center. Thanks to the mentioned thread, if I do install them on the doors, I'll be sure to mount them where they don't interfere with the wing window.

gasman826

How about one of those bicycle mirrors that you strap on your wrist.  Just stick your hand out the window and adjust as necessary.  No holes in the new fenders!!!!!!

Just added one of those extenda mirrors on the right side of my Suburban so I can back the trailer using the mirror.  Stays on the truck but won't hold adjustment.  Works once but worthless after that.

junior58

You could go old skool with the 37 Ford one and use a blue dot lens so it gives off that nice purplish glow.
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

hotroddonnie

Well!!!!! I think Rich should put on his thinking cap and make a one off, everything else is custom why not the third light. HRD

Zapato

Quote from: hotroddonnie on 2014-10-24 05:30
Well!!!!! I think Rich should put on his thinking cap and make a one off, everything else is custom why not the third light. HRD

Yes, I know its hard ,for me, to agree with HRD yet he's absolutely 100% right this time. Personally see something t :unitedstates:hat from behind looks like a Manta Ray coming right at you.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

RICH MUISE

Not sure how a bullet can look like a Manta Ray, but ok...I appreciate all constructive criticism. You do realize the pic above shows the original Cadilac (ugly square) light mounted with the new replacement one just shrinkwrapped and laid beside it.?

RICH MUISE

Quote from: hotroddonnie on 2014-10-24 05:30
You gotta know I thought about it..found some cool motorcycle lights that were almost art deco...I would have had to make a base for it, and also for most other neat stuff I found, so I figure the bullet kinda keeps my "everything's curved" theme for the interior. Some of the neat stuff I found was rare and expensive, like Imperial on-top-of-the-fender tailights.
I've got a number of things to improve on after the car is done and driving..right now I'm getting anxious and making decisions to keep things moving. Now, if I could come up with some energy to get 'em done.
I'm also keeping in mind something Bill mentioned on the first 3rd light thread...if the light is not close to the back window and shrouded, it's gonna light up the whole interior. I'm gonna take a wait and see on this and hope it's there, but not too bad, because I have a bad habit of left foot braking in heavy traffic and resting my foot on the pedal...that glow may help me get rid of that habit.

hotroddonnie

Easier said then done Rich I know. I'm just messin. HRD

Zapato

Quote from: hotroddonnie on 2014-10-24 20:48
Easier said then done Rich I know. I'm just messin. HRD

What? And I was backing you 100%, what a letdown.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72