News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Noisy Rockers

Started by ACESPACK, 2014-10-24 12:51

Previous topic - Next topic

ACESPACK

I purchased a 57 Skyliner recently and am going through a thorough once over of the mechanics.  Good car; drives great, it just has been sitting for several months.  I noticed the rockers are really noisy.  Far worse than my 55 bird or 57 Ranchero. I check for oil supply; it is good.  I gapped at 19 per the spec; I even dropped that to 16 just to see.  I then changed out the shafts and gapped at 16.  No change no matter what I try.  Anybody got an idea.  If you wish to call and discuss please do.

thanks very much,

Jack 559-392-6444

SkylinerRon

Get a cheap automotive stethoscope, pull the valvecovers and listen to the parts move.
Maybe the rockershaft holes are out of round?
Goodluck,
Ron.

ACESPACK

I did just that and all were about the same.  While it was hot and running I set the lash at 16; pretty tight, but it did quiet up a ton.  anybody think that is way to tight and could cause issue?

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: ACESPACK on 2014-10-29 22:03
I did just that and all were about the same.  While it was hot and running I set the lash at 16; pretty tight, but it did quiet up a ton.  anybody think that is way to tight and could cause issue?

NOPE
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

hiball3985

I once read that Ford engineering determined the .019 setting was needed to allow sufficient time for the valve face to contact the seat for heat transfer. The Isky cam I run in mine called for .015 which I felt was too tight and I set mine at .017.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

ACESPACK

Thanks very much.

KULTULZ

QuoteCarefully examine the tip of each rocker arm where it contacts the valve-stem for signs of wear. The surface face of the rocker tip should be flat and smooth, and there should be no signs of pitting or cupping, which are signs of excessive wear. If only slightly worn, the rocker arm tip may be refaced using a grinding stone, allowing the rocker arm to be reused. Also critical is the inside radius of the rocker arm where it rides on the shaft. The inside radius is examined visually and tactically. If there?s any wear here, the rocker arm should be replaced. Do not take shortcuts with critical valve-train components as they have a direct impact on how your engine runs and how long it lasts.

SOURCE - https://www.diyford.com/ford-y-block-engine-rebuilds-inspection-cleaning-guide/
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

thomasso

Mine are not as quiet as I'd like either.  All components are new.  I'm blaming it on the mild Isky.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

KULTULZ

Quote from: thomasso on 2021-09-28 11:34

Mine are not as quiet as I'd like either.  All components are new.  I'm blaming it on the mild Isky.

Did you try ISKY's recommendation of reduced valve lash? Wondering if it helped at all.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

59meteor

Solid lifters require some valve lash, so some noise is to be expected.Many of the performance era engines specified as much as .028-.030" valve lash (Boss 302 Mustangs, 302 Z28 Camaros etc). Personally, I love the mechanical sound of solid lifters, in fact, I installed a solid lifter cam in my 59s 428 CJ, simply so I can enjoy the whirring sound of the valvetrain at .025" lash. Valve lash is music to my ears!
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

lalessi1

Lynn

hiball3985

X3, I have a factory 427 cam in my 390 set at .025. My Y with Isky is just a little noisy at idle but I love it.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

rmk57

The maintenance part of running solids is overrated also. Mine gets checked once a year in spring and that's it. Of all the times I've checked the lash they almost always stay where they should be. My 57's cam has a tight lash of .012 cold, so it doesnt make much clatter at all. My Mustang is quite noisy but that is more of the big open aluminum rocker cover I would think.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

59meteor

Gotta agree with Randy, even on my 427FE drag engine with a .650"+ solid flat tappet cam, I only checked the lash once or twice a race season, and rarely even had to make any adjustments of over .001 or .002". All 272-312 Y Blocks were solids, are were most MoPar Slant 6s, and I bet most were never adjusted over the engines lifetime, or ever, not anywhere near what was recommended by the manufacturer.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

hiball3985

As a usual maintenance part I check mine every 10,000 miles and for the most part they are ok. I think back in the old days wear was more prevalent with the bad quality oils and required more adjusting, today not so much..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang