News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Heater valve

Started by Limey57, 2014-10-25 10:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey57

I'm restoring all of the heater metal work ready to fit and noticed a few problems with the heater valve that is bolted to the bottom of the heater matrix.  As can be seen from the photos the outlet has rotted away and the insides are seized solid, the part that sits against the heater matrix body is also thin.  I could always bypass it and run without a heater but seeing as I'm restoring everything else it knida feels wrong to leave something out!  Does anyone sell reconditioned heater valves or at least a repair kit (if they can be repaired?).  Anyone ever resurrected one or recommend something to soak it in to free it off?

Thanks

Gary

1957 Ranchero

Limey57

Scratch that, good-ole EBay to the rescue again!!!!  Just need to try and unblock the heater matrix now, 50-odd years of water sitting in it hasn't done it any favours......
Gary

1957 Ranchero

hiball3985

Gary, I've see them on Ebay also, just keep in mind there are three different types. Also there is a rubber type gasket that goes between the valve and core, I think I got one from Mac's. New heater cores are available and I think they are worth buying, I did. The old ones are prone to leaking at any time.....
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Limey57

Jim, I think a new core could be on the cards, this one has had repeated doses of lime scale remover which is slowly clearing it out but past experience has been that cleaning out the crud can find lots of pinholes!

All the valves on EBay look the same, any idea what the differences are?

Thanks
Gary

1957 Ranchero

hiball3985

Gary, replacing that old core is probably a good idea especially if you plan on driving it a cold climate. Many years ago I had a core blow and it filled the car with steam that fogged the windows so bad I almost crashed..
There is a valve with a vacuum control, one without vacuum that is only cable operated and one with no control valve and just uses a valve that is inline with the heater hose or just has a shut off valve on the intake manifold. The vacuum one is the most popular that I have seen, I use the one that is just cable controlled..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Limey57

Thanks Jim, I've ordered the right valve and asked Mac's for a shipping quote for a new core then I can weigh up the cost of shipping one in or getting my old one re-cored locally.  At the minute I'm taking advantage of the pound being strong against the dollar and buying all the bits & pieces I'd forgotten about, I ought to get a Christmas card from Macs this year!!!!
Gary

1957 Ranchero

hiball3985

I got my core from Macs, it was a nice piece. Don't forget the order the gasket at the same time  :003:

Edit: they have started printing the new money, don't know when it will go into circulation but I'm expecting the will devalue the $$ even more in the near future. Happy Shopping for you.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Limey57

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2014-10-25 17:02
Edit: they have started printing the new money, don't know when it will go into circulation but I'm expecting the will devalue the $$ even more in the near future. Happy Shopping for you.

Yeah, noticed the dollar dropping a lot over the last few weeks, while it's useful for me buying a few bits & pieces I hope it picks up for you guys soon, there's nothing worse than economic gloom.....
Gary

1957 Ranchero

VwDrvFnd

I got a new core, valve and gasket and for the life of me could not get it to seal around the valve. I ended up slathering on a load of RTV and letting it cure for a few days to get it a non leaking seal.
Then since I live in Texas I gave up on redoing all the stock heater stuff and am just going to install a panel to cover the hole in the firewall and save up for a Vintage Air Unit.
I have a rust hole in my passanger side inner fender well, It's 58 years old what do you expect?

Limey57

It isn't really a shape that lends itself to a good seal is it?  I'd already resigned myself to using plenty of sealant and leaving it to cure, the last thing I want are leaks after it's all installed.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

57ford

The heater valve on my old Fairlane wouldn't seal good. It was in good nick, the rubber gasket was sound, just didn't seal too good. My new Ranchero has the cable controlled valve so I don't have to worry about filling the interior up with boiling water!