News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Exhaust Heat Valve

Started by junior58, 2014-11-11 02:01

Previous topic - Next topic

junior58

I've just discovered that the exhaust heat valve in my R/H manifold is stuck, but I don't know if it's stuck open or closed (or somewhere in between). If it's stuck open, I'll leave it and not worry about it, but if it's stuck closed I want to open it up and wire it open. I don't want to have to drop my exhaust to see if it's open or closed so can someone let me know the open and closed position in relation to the counterweight (up or down), pictures would be even better. Thanks, Steve.
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

Hoosier Hurricane

On a passenger car, the weight on the valve is approximately parallel to the flap on the valve.  In the closed position, the weight arm is close to horizontal, in the open position, it is more vertical.  I'm not sure about the positions on the valve on the front crossover type exhaust as on trucks and early cars.   John

junior58

Thanks John. I bought an original 1957 Canadian Ford and Meteor workshop manual off Trade Me (New Zealands equivalent of Ebay), arrived yesterday and it shows it in there, down is open, which is where I'M going to leave mine.
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter