News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Never satisfied. Got a 390 now...

Started by sprink88, 2014-11-16 12:27

Previous topic - Next topic

sprink88

This will be my 3rd engine in 3 years. Going to FE. Is it my understanding that I could just use '58 352 mounts? And will I need to modify the crossmember for the FMX trans?
~Chris

lalessi1

I bought standard motor mounts for a Y block and a standard transmission mount as well. The swap is a bolt in and you use stock parts. I bought stuff from Concours Parts. I checked 59 FE parts and they were the same part numbers as Y block. I used a standard '57 V8 radiator and FE hoses. I used a 4 speed toploader. Clutch linkage is supposedly from a 59, not real sure. I did this swap in the sixties when you could go to the Ford dealer and compare part numbers. the only modification was to the engine side clutch Z bar mount. I just did all this in the past year. i didn't even have to modify the drive shaft.
Lynn
Lynn

lalessi1

My car did have a AOD/302  in it when I bought it and the stock transmission cross member had been replaced with a fabricated one. Forgot this detail. Don't know about the FMX transmission. I bought a stock cross member and put it back to "stock".
Lynn

65kcode

Lynn,

Did the motor mounts "C" shape go to the firewall direction or toward the front?

Kevin

sprink88

~Chris

lalessi1

I have read that for a 390 swap you turn the motor mounts around "backwards". I looked at the mounts when I got them and it appeared to me that they wouldn't move the engine forward or backward very much. I looked in the shop manual and put them in the "factory" posistion with the metal face to the front and the open part to the rear. That puts the left valve cover about 1/2"-3/4" from the firewall and the fan about 1" from the radiator. Thr trans mounts are slotted so they worked out fine. The only caveat is that my car had the engine mount pads cut off the crossmember and replaced for the 302. I bought a frame crossmember, cut off the brackets and welded them back on my car. I also had to buy another transmission crossmember. I tried to put everything back in its original configuration but without many reference points. It all works though and it looks like it cam from the factory that way.

When I put the FE in a '57 a long time ago I bought '58 332 motor mounts, they had a different part number I think.
Lynn

65kcode

Thanks Lynn, that is what I was thinking. Figured if the motor mount was going the other way, it would just pick up road grime (dirt road to my house). The way you did it, is how I have mine. Haven't started putting headers in yet, thought I would double check, to not have to do that twice!

Kevin

lalessi1

Never thought about header clearance but I am now! I did move the clutch pivot point about an inch to the rear on the engine side (about as much as practicle with a stock bracket). I am looking at FPA but I am trying to figure out power steering/clutch clearance with those. I am looking at a hydraulic clutch and R&P vs. ABS or Borgeson power steering.
Lynn

65kcode

We bought FPA's in jet coated grey. They look great, but haven't installed yet. Running Borgeson PS box and 4 speed. We'll see how they fit, FPA says no problems except maybe to relocate the Z-bar a bit. FPA says some you do, some you don't.

Kevin

lalessi1

Please keep the info coming! After my recent experience I can see how "some do an some don't". I thought Borgeson says  their box won't work with a manual trans.... yours clears?  That has kept me from buying one. Let me know for sure if the headers fit. I have heard that the FPA may require a "slight modification". On a separate note what transmission/shifter combo do you have. I have a Fairlane Hurst on a toploader and a Galaxie Hurst yet to be installed. I don't care for the Fairlane handle location and you can't change out handles on those.
Lynn

65kcode

I called Borgeson and asked that question myself. They said that if the bellcrank/Z-bar was between the gearbox and fenderwell it would work with the stickshift. I am now more worried about where I put my proportioning valve for my 4 wheel disk brakes.... haha

I am using a 3 speed OD toploader out of a 70's van.  I haven't gotten everything mocked up so I don't know what shifter setup I'm going to use quite yet. Probable using a Hurst shifter or a 1965 mustang as thats what i have sitting around.

Kevin