News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Rack and pinion turning radius.

Started by lalessi1, 2014-11-17 12:21

Previous topic - Next topic

lalessi1

Does rack and pinion steering change the turning radius on a Custom?
Lynn

gasman826

With the commonly used racks...yes.

DanTudor57

Changing the turn radius is one of my concerns. Is it a radical change?

I've had a pretty complete Wurth-it setup sitting  in storage for years now which I plan to finally install.  Would be nice to get an idea of the impact this will have on turn radius.

Ford Blue blood

Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

gasman826

At one time, I had a Ford F350 4X4, 4 door, with 8' box.  It's like that.  I got used to it and no big deal.  In my case, the fender well headers would have required extra long steering stops anyway.  The car drives great.  Super handling.  I wouldn't hesitate to do it again!!  If I did it again, I might weld the brackets to the frame for the 'like it belonged there' look.

NOTE:  Don't use a cheap'o GM ignition switch that might cut out on you at any moment.  Really tough to stop and steer with no power!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BBoswell

I have Wurth-it rack conversions on both my Ranchero and my Custom 300 and love them. If the car is lowered in the front your wheels may touch the fenders with the rack. My Ranchero has a 390 with headers. My custom has a 460 with stock exhaust. Both have floor shifts. Rick had just come out with a kit that would work with stock column shift before he passed. His site is still up so I don't know is someone else has taken over or they just haven't taken it down.

RICH MUISE

"If the car is lowered in the front your wheels may touch the fenders with the rack."
Seems like if the rack widens the turning radius, you'd be less likely to hit the fenders. My guess is it's the lowering, and how much, not the rack...but I haven't gotten to drive mine yet.
In all our discusions on turning radius, I've never seen actual numbers posted anywhere...It would sure be nice to know the stock turning radius vs. with a rack.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

BBoswell

I honestly never checked before lowering the cars. The Custom 300 is lowered by using stock spindles and cutting the coil and the tires just barely touch. The Ranchero is lowered using dropped spindles and cutting the coil and being this low you have to be aware so you don't blister the paint. Because in my particular case the lower it is the more the tires touch. That's why I mentioned it. Still love the rack and pinion power steering . . . and especially the fact it is 2 3/4 turns lock to lock.