News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Emergency Brake components.

Started by 57ford, 2014-11-30 12:07

Previous topic - Next topic

57ford

Howdy. Does any of you nice chaps know where I can get hold of this:

http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4227.0;attach=7293;image
(apologies for stealing the pic from somewhere else on here!)

What I am actually missing is the lever that swivels on the trans crossmember and the link between that and the equaliser. I have a 58 one, but I think they are slightly different?
Thanks awfully, Robin.

canadian_ranchero

my 1958 ford parts book shows most of these parts have 1957 part numbers,so they should fit

57ford

This is good news! So the only part I have missing is the actual lever. I have tried the online parts emporiums but have so far come up with zip.

rmk57

The lever looks like it would be fairly simple to make out of 3/16" flat bar if you had the dimensions.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

gasman826

The '57 threaded adjustment rod is available as a repop from the aftermarket.  I should have a couple of the levers.  Give me a little time.  I put it on my list of to-dos.

lalessi1

There may be two types:
Type 1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-1958-1959-Ford-Custom-Fairlane-Galaxie-500-Transmission-Frame-Crossmember-/201210497007?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ed91487ef&vxp=mtr

Type 2? See 1137-1.jpg.

The shop manual shows the second type. They require different levers. I have "type 1" and have yet to get the right lever. The one I have is mounted but the leverage/travel won't work. Not trying to confuse the issue but making sure won't hurt especially given your location.

I am still looking....

Lynn

lalessi1

A little clarification on my previous post. I have been told by a salvage yard guy there are two types of crossmember designs found in 1957 Fords. The crossmember in the jpg matches what is in the 57 Ford Shop Manual, the one on the link is a newer design supposedly. They use a different parking brake lever. My parking brake "works", I have new cables etc.,
but the movement does not give me either adequate force or movement to actually "lock" the brakes. I have a crossmember that matches the one in the link not the Manual/jpg one. It is important in my opinion to match the lever to the crossmember. I believe I have the wrong crossmember and or lever. I think Ford used a pedal actuated parking/emergency brake in 1959 and later maybe creating my issue....
Lynn

RICH MUISE

I think you are correct..59 = pedal actuated. I think the e-bay link is for a '59. The pic of the rusty one is like the all '57's I've seen. I have no idea what that rod on the right is.
BTW, a reminder...the threaded adjustment rod I got from Dennis Carpenter is wrong. It's in the pic on the first post of this thread, and was the reason I had posted that pic.
It would be interesting if anyone here has a different crossmember than what's in the pic. I've never heard of there being two oem types as your salvage yard guy suggested....But it seems like every week I hear of something for the first time.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

I've never seen but one type but who knows.. All the ones for a 57 that I have seen are like your rusty .jpg picture. You really have to watch Evilbay sellers, many have know idea what they have  :003:

The rod on the right and the bracket to the left are clutch linkage parts..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

Jim you are right, the extraneous parts in the pic are for clutch linkage. I forgot to mention that.
Lynn

hiball3985

JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

I bought it.... $50 is a good price to me! Thanks Jim, I have been dealing with this a while. I bought the crossmember I have now a couple of years ago and apparantly it is a '59, my car didn't have one when I got it. Now I need the lever... like Robin did when he started this thread, woops. One step closer.
Lynn

gasman826

FOUND IT!!  Who wants it?

57ford

Me please Mister!!  :001:
I'll pm my details in a mo.
Robin.

lalessi1

Robin gets it. it was his thread. A picture of it would help me overcome my grief....I will put it by my bed. Besides I found a crossmember! :001:
Lynn