News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Emergency Brake components.

Started by 57ford, 2014-11-30 12:07

Previous topic - Next topic

hiball3985

I'm not sure, I was thinking it was not so curved., and the cable attachment point was different. Also you can't always go by the pictures in the manuals, I've noticed other 56 pictures that were carried over to the 57 manual. If you can wait until tomorrow morning I crawl under an double check unless someone else response.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

Thanks Jim. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Lynn

RICH MUISE

That ebay part is not the same as the '57's. Will it work? I don't know....it is very similar, but if the sizes are too much different you're going to end up with a problem with the cables. Domino effect.
As far as making one from "barstock"...I wouldn't. Remember what it's doing here...there's alot of force being put on that bar. It should be made from a high strength steel,not from something easily formable.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

This is the only style I have or had my hands on.  My setup is modified.  I'm still using OEM stuff except custom cross member.  I used LoKar cable kit with the SVO rear disc brakes and the little drum parking brake.  Parking brake works excellent.  The rear tires will lock up with very little effort.

lalessi1

Thanks guys, now I at least know what I am looking for looks like. My 57 crossmember shipped today. I have a lever that is straight and pinned on one end, I may try drilling other holes just for grins. :003:
Lynn

hiball3985

Lynn, your arm may work with the 57 cross member. You have it mounted different then I have seen any. The arm is suppose to go through the slots!!!!!!! The 57 will have a different mounting..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

I imagined it was supposed to go through the slots but it would fit or even line up. When I got it, my car had a straight pipe for a crossmember and that lever was on it. I have no idea what it came off of. The emergency cable was broken under the dash. I used a bolt as a pin and made it fit. It all moves freely but won't fully engage the brakes. Hence my "quest".... I live in flat landia so the parking brake function is not that critical but my goal is to get everything working as it is supposed to.
Lynn

hiball3985

I should have made it more clear, sorry. The arm you have almost looks like the 57 and may work with the new cross memeber. I think the type arm used on your present cross member has a notch on the end and fits into the slots.. I think my Mustang used that type. There clear as mud  :003:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

I saw the notch in some later levers and I figured out how that was supposed to work. The arm I have is dead straight but no notch and my car seems to have had a mid 70's donor car...spindles, disc brakes, 302, AOD etc. It is really an exercise to try to figure this stuff out. I love it!!!
Lynn

RICH MUISE

What's even more fun for me is to try and figure out what I'VE done!!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

I make lots of notes now. Unfortunately when I build my 1960 truck in 1975 I didn't. Now I have a hard time remembering what I did yesterday...
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

gasman826

Picked through parts today and found this style of parking brake lever.  I have three cross members that I removed from '57s and none used this style.

If the '59 went to a foot activated parking brake, why would it need the mechanical advantage of the lever. 

lalessi1

Update on the ebrake equalizer/cross member saga. I found what I believe (thanks to gasman826) to be the correct equalizer bar for the '59 crossmember now in my car. I started to try it in the car only to realize my REAL PROBLEM. The mounting bracket that holds the actuating cable on the '59 crossmember is several inches closer to the center than the one on the 57 crossmember (I also have the correct crossmember). There appears to be no way to get the correct leverage/travel with the 59 crossmember. When looking to put in the 57 crossmember I realized that the cable mounting bracket on it is dead on center with my exhaust pipe. Wow, now I have to move the exhaust pipe. I have a 57 truck equalizer bar that looks like it will work but I am still looking for the correct equalizer bar.
Lynn

lalessi1

Finally found a 57 car equalizer bracket, moved the exhaust pipe, installed the 57 crossmember, and after 2 years I have a properly operating eBrake...yipee!
Lynn