News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

starting my 4.6 swap

Started by canadian_ranchero, 2014-11-30 13:20

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Unlike the express harness kits which are not universal, but made for a specific vehicle, the Telorvek/Detail Zone/Ron Francis engine mngmt. harness is pretty much engine vintage specific, but otherwise  universal, if that makes sense, in that everyone pretty much gets the same harness that's made for that vintage. I haven't looked into your year kit, but I assume it's the same as my 93-95 MKVIII kit in that if you don't use the components the kit was designed to include, it will throw engine codes and as Ron Francis puts it "will probabbly be running in some type of back up mode".Things that come to mind...egr system, intake sensors including MAF sensor, front O2 sensors, etc.
You'll get differing opinions on this forum about what to delete and what not to delete. With that said, you'll have less options on what to delete and what not to delete going with the RF kit.
Yes, the kit addresses the 4R70W tranmision wiring. Instructions were very clear for the most part...I only had to make a few phone calls.
quote...."I got the impression you ordered the wiring kit from Francis that was specific to your year of engine in that it is a standard kit with no deletions? correct Sounds like the instructions are very detailed as well. To be clear, the tranny harness comes with the engine harness, correct?" correct
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2015-04-20 23:21
Unlike the express harness kits which are not universal, but made for a specific vehicle, the Telorvek/Detail Zone/Ron Francis engine mngmt. harness is pretty much engine vintage specific, but otherwise  universal, if that makes sense, in that everyone pretty much gets the same harness that's made for that vintage. I haven't looked into your year kit, but I assume it's the same as my 93-95 MKVIII kit in that if you don't use the components the kit was designed to include, it will throw engine codes and as Ron Francis puts it "will probabbly be running in some type of back up mode".Things that come to mind...egr system, intake sensors including MAF sensor, front O2 sensors, etc.
You'll get differing opinions on this forum about what to delete and what not to delete. With that said, you'll have less options on what to delete and what not to delete going with the RF kit.
Yes, the kit addresses the 4R70W tranmision wiring. Instructions were very clear for the most part...I only had to make a few phone calls.
quote...."I got the impression you ordered the wiring kit from Francis that was specific to your year of engine in that it is a standard kit with no deletions? correct Sounds like the instructions are very detailed as well. To be clear, the tranny harness comes with the engine harness, correct?" correct
his engine is OBD II so the kit will be different[101 computer wires on his,60 on yours]will need to reprogram the computer to delete stuff

canadian_ranchero

update: here are pictures of my test fit of my intake system. also looks like if i shorten my battery box to 12 inches it will clear the engine and i can leave it in the stock location.

canadian_ranchero

had to post one more time.  post 600  wow that only took about 2 months

RICH MUISE

600...congrats...and keep them coming! The car's coming along nicely. LOL...remember our discusion, way back when, when we were wondering (I was wondering) why the California guy had so many hours getting it done?
My harness had 95 wires to the panel from the engine and tranny...I counted!...and that did not include the wires to and from other places to the panel.

canadian_ranchero

update: put in a different transmission dipstick[out of a 96 f150 modifyed to fit]the mark VIII one would have been under my heater hoses and hard to reach[look at the last picture on reply 110].also built a heat shield around the steering box,not sure if i need one,but it can't hurt.it is all the little stuff that seems to take forever to do

RICH MUISE

That dipstick mod really moves it's location quite a bit. I can see why with the oem heater box there it would be a definite problem. Good solution!

canadian_ranchero

update:still waiting for a few parts [nobody stocks anything anymore].starting on taking my wiring harness apart

canadian_ranchero

update:sorted out my temp gauge and sender,my tests are saying a sender for a 67 mustang will work[i hope]test fitted the computer mount bracket,the mark VIII one will work.picked the spot where the computer wiring will come threw the firewall[still need to drill].i am going to use the under hood fuse panel from the mark,did some test fitting,looks like the best place will be close to the spot where the voltage reg went.     

canadian_ranchero

do you know how many wires there are in a harness?still working on taking it apart.

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: canadian_ranchero on 2015-05-07 21:16
do you know how many wires there are in a harness?still working on taking it apart.

A gagillion!  That's why the car weighs over 4000lbs.  It has more copper in it than steel!  I did a Continental (5.0 speed density) for my 66 Falcon Ranchero swap and had a butt load of wire left over after all the "junk" was out of the harness.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

I can't even begin to imagine the work to take the oem harness apart and keep everything sorted out. Even with all the necessary schematics, it's got to be a nighmare just trying to figure out what is what.The idea of a paint by numbers kit like I used is high dollar, but has got to start looking more appealing at some point in your effort, I would think. My kudos to you for taking on the challenge...I know you'll get it done, something I could never do.

canadian_ranchero

update:test fitted the computer and under dash computer wiring

canadian_ranchero

update:first picture is the test fit of the coil on plug wiring fitted the the engine harness[needs to be finished]second is the part of the underhood harnass that i am using.the 3rd picture is the part that i cut out and am not using

canadian_ranchero

update:still working on the wiring.first picture is of the books you will find handy when doing this project.second picture is the wiring i kept from the wiring from inside the mark VIII.the last picture is of the wiring that is left over from the mark VIII.