News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

starting my 4.6 swap

Started by canadian_ranchero, 2014-11-30 13:20

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

wow.....even after disassembling two Mark viii's I'm still surprised at the quantity of wiring. But I never attempted to remove the wiring other than the engine harness. The good news side of it is the almost nonexistance of vacumn lines on these cars due to everything being electrical.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

canadian_ranchero

update:first and second pictures,you can see my coil on plug wiring and my power steering test fit.needed to test fit booster/power steering to see how much room i have for the under hood fuse panel.last picture,"wiring is sure fun" LOL

RICH MUISE

The cop conversion.....are you reprograming the computer to actually put out 8 signals, or are you doing the "simulated" conversion, like I'm doing, using the stock signalling actually putting out 4 signals, each to two coils? Not having those coil packs sure increases your upfront room. Hopefully my coils will be in before too long....snail mail from Maine to Texas!!
Is the PS reservoir being moved to the inner fender well, or is it just there temporarily out of the way?

canadian_ranchero

i have done the"simulated" conversion on the coils.yes,the p/s reservoir is from a 2004 ranger,the picture shows where it is going to be mounted

canadian_ranchero

here is another picture of the p/s reservoir,it also shows the hight and spot i am mounting the fuse panel.you can see just in front and below the p/s reservoir where i will be mounting the cruse control.looks like i will have room for the original washer bag

RICH MUISE

I just noticed your top radiator inlet is on the driver's side. I'm pretty sure I saw a coolant pipe on one of the dohc versions where the pipe exited the left side..maybe a fwd Continental?

canadian_ranchero

i have one of those coolant pipes,when i get to that point,i will see what one will work better

canadian_ranchero

update:got the transmission wired up.was able to use the factory plug on the left side of the trans tunnel to bring the wires inside the car

canadian_ranchero

here is a picture of where the trans wiring comes inside the car.the next picture is the auto shift linkage.it is stock 57,the only change is at the lever at the trans[front half 57 back half 2001]

RICH MUISE

I just noticed the "cup"-like extension? sitting on your throttle body intake. Tell me what you've got there..something from a different car? I don't recall seeing one like that on any of the MKVIII's I've looked at, and not too many other version 4.6's have the oval shape.

canadian_ranchero

it is the connector hose from after market cold air systems.a 4 inch hose fits the throttle body.this one is 4 inch on one side and 4 1/2 on the other and is 3 inch long.the one i picked up is made by vibrant performance part number vib 2837. look at reply 136 [first picture]and reply 122

canadian_ranchero

update:first picture is of the final install of my booster,next one is of my heater box heater hose install,next 2 are of my front fuel line install.this is the front fuel hose out of the lincoln mark and fits good.also rich muise the last picture shows a close up of the connector hose on the throttle body.i was going to install my heater motor but i need a 3 wire motor and the replacement one on the car is a 2 wire.out parts hunting again :005: 

RICH MUISE

Looking good Gary. I assume you're looking for a heater motor from something other than a '57 that'll work.?
I had also kept the forward fuel lines from the donor car...just ended up not using them.
I checked out and saved the Vibrant performance website. Some good stuff on there, including some SS radiator clamps I've been looking for. I'm assuming you went with a 4 x 4 1/2 silicon adapter because the intake tube you're using in 4 1/2? I'm assuming this because you mentioned a 4" flexible tube would fit the MKVIII throttle body, so if my intake tube was 4" I could just go with their 4" x 4". I don't need it for my current setup, but eventually I want to make an intake plenum that will sit over the engine, like in the pic of this really sanitary f-100. I'm 90% sure at this point the maf sensor will fit under the '57 hood in the position shown on the truck.
PS...for some reason, the pic opens up weird when you click on it, but after it expands, click on "open with.... Paint" up top and it'll come up normal !?

canadian_ranchero

i am going to try a resister on the 2 wire motor,should be able to get 2 speeds.the intake tube elbow is 4 1/2 od.neet looking intake,but that looks too high for a 57

canadian_ranchero

i used a ignition resistor [mopar]wired into low speed side of the heater switch.runs about 1/2 speed on low