News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

starting my 4.6 swap

Started by canadian_ranchero, 2014-11-30 13:20

Previous topic - Next topic

canadian_ranchero

update:the under hood wiring is as far as i can go before i put the front sheet metal on.pulling the fuel tank to replace the sending unit and to finish the back fuel lines,using a new plastic line for the supply and the stock fuel line for the return.will post pictures when i get them done

Raven Rider

I sent you a PM with a couple of questions before I saw this post I can't wait to see the next set of pictures

canadian_ranchero

when i pulled the tank i saw that the spare tire well needs repair.another to do when it is apart

canadian_ranchero

has anyone lowered the spare tire well for extra tire clearance?looks like i can lower it about 3/4 to 1 inch at the back part of the well,that will let my 215 75 14 tire fit.

RICH MUISE

Just for info...that pic I posted of the pickup with the really clean engine compartment....before I put the second fender on, I laid my air cleaner/maf housing/connector elbow on top of the intake and alternator and closed the hood. Just eyeballing, but there is at least 1 1/2" clearance.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

canadian_ranchero

found a good spare tire well,just need to get time to go get it and get it installed

RICH MUISE

Gary...any updates??

canadian_ranchero

it is hard to get projects worked on in the summer time.i did find some new coil covers i picked up from ford

RICH MUISE

Covers look good....
I've been forgetting to ask...is your engine off centered just a bit??...a little closer to the passenger side control arm than the driver's side? Everything on mine was 3/8 off center.

canadian_ranchero

my engine is to the pass side about a 1/16 of a inch

RICH MUISE

Gary...been meaning to ask...do you forsee any issues with pinion angle on our drivetrains?

canadian_ranchero

update:i have decided to put in a/c.hoping to use the dealer installed polor air under dash unit from 1957/58,adapting it to the mark 8 compresser.looking for a bigger/higher capacity radiator that is not $500 bucks.also looking for a trailer hitch that will fit the wagon.the trailer i have has a tongue weight of 300 lbs,think i will need to add a leaf to the back springs   

BWhitmore

I installed the Mark  IV under dash unit available from Vintage Air in my Ranchero.  Period correct looks, great cooling and all new self contained components (blower, expansion valve, evaporator and controls).  Installed with a bulk head fitting on the firewall for the AC hoses.  Nice neat installation. 

Raven Rider

Gary not to hijack but if you find a hitch please let me know where you found one.

canadian_ranchero

finally things have slowed down at home.time has come to start working on my wagon again,i found a washer bottle i think will work good.came from a late 90" taurus