News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

starting my 4.6 swap

Started by canadian_ranchero, 2014-11-30 13:20

Previous topic - Next topic

canadian_ranchero

heard this ticking noise when i hooked up the battery.checked it out.it was the clock :003:

RICH MUISE

HaHa...I did the same thing. Made sure everything was off when I hooked up the battery, but could hear a clicking noise.....turned out to be the hazard lights I didn't think about being on.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

Your hearing is way better than mine...then remembered my clock was upgraded to quartz and makes no sound!!! 

canadian_ranchero

spent over a days time trying to repair/rebuild a 59 signal light switch[had 2 switches]got one to work about 90% of the time,not good enough.too bad 57 switches will not fit,i have 3 good ones.found a 3rd switch from a 59[good thing i know someone that has some 59 parts],must have been replaced at one time because of the better/different design than the other 2 i had.was able to repair/rebuild this one and got it installed,put it in the car and it did not work. found the 59 wiring colors a little different and then the flasher desided not to work.this project took almost 2 weeks by it self to get done.need to change out my oil presser sender,put one in for a gauge by mistake[the newer types almost look the same] .under dash wiring about 80% done.3 steps ahead and 4 back  :005:     

canadian_ranchero

had a good day today.underdash wiring about 90% done.installed the computer,check engine light  works,the o/d light works,tested the radio am/fm/ipod all seem to work[had my granddaughter test the ipod]i hooked up the back up lights to work all the time[the factory has them hooked up so you need your lights on].the engine turns over[no gas tank yet]here are some pictures,first one you can see my 59 turn signal switch,my cruse switches,you can see the ipod connecter out of the glove box.2nd picture you can see where i put my check engine light :003:   

canadian_ranchero

got the oil presser senser/switch changed now the oil light works.not sure if you guys noticed but i used the 59 steering coluum to dash mount and the 59 signal light wire cover

RICH MUISE

"The engine turns over".....that's the biggie in that list. Congrats on the progress. Looking good.

canadian_ranchero

update;got the wiper/washer finished up.used 66 mustang washer nozzles.finished up my under dash gauge set up.bigger red light above the gauges[on dash]is hooked to the low brake fluid sensor in the mustang master cylinder.the small warning light beside the tach is hooked to the low washer fluid sensor in the washer bottle.the toggle switch between the tach and the trans temp gauge is to switch between coolers,move the switch left and it reads the engine oil temp,move it right and it reads the trans temp.here are some pictures.if you look to the left in the last picture you can see where i put the computer beside the steering coluum 

RICH MUISE

That's some pretty cool stuff you've got going on there, Gary.

canadian_ranchero

update;have the spare tire well rust repair about 3/4 done.used a trailer fender, cut it up to fit.when you are tack welding parts together do not wear a short sleeve shirt,ask me how i know.i put the gas tank straps and bolts in a special place so i would not lose them.....found the straps.....still looking for the bolts  :005:

RICH MUISE

That all sounds normal to me.

gasman826

Quote from: canadian_ranchero on 2016-06-26 23:48
...when you are tack welding parts together do not wear a short sleeve shirt,ask me how i know...  :005:

...shorts and sandals make the list too....

Lucky'57

LOL Thats funny Gary, welding gloves up to the elbow and let the rest burn! Hey, you wouldn't be wanting to part with that nasty old radiator off the wagon would you? Just developed a leak on my top seam. Is yours in sellable shape? Your work looks awesome by the way, sure looking forward to hear that thing roar.
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: gasman826 on 2016-06-27 17:47
...shorts and sandals make the list too....

and wedding bands and watches!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

gasman826

Mine had a crack in the top tank.  Long gone...gave it to a guy who just crashed his and was patching it up.  I bought one of those cheap, eBay aluminum radiators a couple of years ago.  So far, so good....

Rings!!!!!!!!!!  Those stay on no matter the reason...wife said so!!!!  I don't turn on the welder without gauntlet gloves and welding jacket.  Under car welding dictates a dew rag over the ears.  Not much hair on top of my head and I just hate the sound of ear wax burning!!