News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

starting my 4.6 swap

Started by canadian_ranchero, 2014-11-30 13:20

Previous topic - Next topic

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: Lucky'57 on 2016-06-27 20:02
LOL Thats funny Gary, welding gloves up to the elbow and let the rest burn! Hey, you wouldn't be wanting to part with that nasty old radiator off the wagon would you? Just developed a leak on my top seam. Is yours in sellable shape? Your work looks awesome by the way, sure looking forward to hear that thing roar.
the good,the original rad is in good shape with no leaks.the bad,it is a 6 cyl rad,a hole bunch different than the v/8 one.you are welcome to come look if you want,just call 

KYBlueOval

Quote from: canadian_ranchero on 2016-06-20 22:27
update;got the wiper/washer finished up.used 66 mustang washer nozzles.finished up my under dash gauge set up.bigger red light above the gauges[on dash]is hooked to the low brake fluid sensor in the mustang master cylinder.the small warning light beside the tach is hooked to the low washer fluid sensor in the washer bottle.the toggle switch between the tach and the trans temp gauge is to switch between coolers,move the switch left and it reads the engine oil temp,move it right and it reads the trans temp.here are some pictures.if you look to the left in the last picture you can see where i put the computer beside the steering coluum
Canadian Ranchero.........I really like your dual temp gauge set up. I'd like to ask the details of the wiring to use one gauge and two senders. I understand the  two senders.  Please  walk me through the wiring through the toggle switch.  Are the senders single wire or dual wire senders? What  exactly is the toggle switch......number of poles? Number of "Throws"? And how is it wired. I think I know, but you know for sure how it is done.
Thanking you in advance!
John 

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: KYBlueOval on 2016-06-28 20:40
Canadian Ranchero.........I really like your dual temp gauge set up. I'd like to ask the details of the wiring to use one gauge and two senders. I understand the  two senders.  Please  walk me through the wiring through the toggle switch.  Are the senders single wire or dual wire senders? What  exactly is the toggle switch......number of poles? Number of "Throws"? And how is it wired. I think I know, but you know for sure how it is done.
Thanking you in advance!
John
o/k i am using a b/m trans temp gauge,get a second matching sender [both senders are single wire].now the toggle switch is a on/off/on with 3 places to hook wires to.the center post is common.you hook the gauge sender wire to the center post and the wires from the senders,one goes to the left post and the other to the right post.hope this helps John.if you have anymore questions just let me know

KYBlueOval

Quote from: canadian_ranchero on 2016-06-28 21:49
o/k i am using a b/m trans temp gauge,get a second matching sender [both senders are single wire].now the toggle switch is a on/off/on with 3 places to hook wires to.the center post is common.you hook the gauge sender wire to the center post and the wires from the senders,one goes to the left post and the other to the right post.hope this helps John.if you have anymore questions just let me know
Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it.

KYBlueOval

Quote from: canadian_ranchero on 2016-06-28 21:49
Well sir, I do have another question or two. I'm going to do this, I've decided that..........my question , having thought about this for a day or two is this...........where did you install the transmission  temp sender? Is in one of the two cooling lines? If so, which one outbound or return? Or, is it installed in the transmission pan? I'm guessing the pan is the better location, but will look to your reply for the answer as to what location is best. IF,it is in the pan,is there a best location in the pan?  Front Left.....Front Right? etc. I've done a little research regarding senders and the sizes ranges from 1/2 " NPT to 1/8 NPT. IF I'm correct that the pan is the best location, I'm thinking that the thing to do is weld in a 1/2NPT Bung in the transmission pan ( you'll tell me if there is a best location in the pan ). By using a 1/2 bung I can use any size sender on the market by bushing the bung down to whatever size the sender requires.
What have I missed or not considered? Like I said, I really like this idea and thank you for sharing it with all of us on the Forum.
John  FYI......My Canadian ancestry dates back to 1647!

canadian_ranchero

the b/m trans temp gauge kit comes with the parts to install the temp sender in the cooler lines.i put my sender in the line that goes back to the trans.this gives me the temp of the oil after the cooler.putting the sender in the trans pan gives you a more accurate temp reading of the trans oil.i do not know if there is a best spot to put the sender in the pan,but i would put the sender somewhere that would protect it from getting damaged/too hot.hope this helps

KYBlueOval

Quote from: canadian_ranchero on 2016-07-04 12:01
the b/m trans temp gauge kit comes with the parts to install the temp sender in the cooler lines.i put my sender in the line that goes back to the trans.this gives me the temp of the oil after the cooler.putting the sender in the trans pan gives you a more accurate temp reading of the trans oil.i do not know if there is a best spot to put the sender in the pan,but i would put the sender somewhere that would protect it from getting damaged/too hot.hope this helps
Thanks............you confirmed what i was thinking.

canadian_ranchero

update;spare tire well still needs cleaning and painting.tryed to put anti freeze in and one of my hoses leaked.of course it is the one above the oil filter,i can almost see the hose......  :005: 

canadian_ranchero

update;got the coolant leak fixed,finished up the spare tire well,put a new sending unit in the gas tank[modifyed a non wagon one] .so a pretty good day

canadian_ranchero

update;fuel tank is in[never did find the second strap bolt,had to make one],went with a different fuel pump prefilter making a new mount for that,finishing up the fuel pump wiring.grand kids as much as i love them,they can sure slow things down when they "help".when i put the car down on the ground i saw i had antifreeze on the ground again,turned out that some had got in the spring pocket when i was repairing the first leak.so no leak from the cooling system!!!!!!!! :003:   

RICH MUISE

So, what's left to do before start-up? You've got to be getting close. Is the wiring done?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

canadian_ranchero

finish up fuel pump wiring/ lines and exhaust and a few other other things i am sure i will find/forgot and it should run.still need to finish the brakes,reinstall seats,grill, ect,

canadian_ranchero

update;finished up the fuel pump wiring and line/pump install.here are some pictures

canadian_ranchero

update;got things hooked up enough and will be trying to start the engine tomorrow.hope all goes well

RICH MUISE

I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe