News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

starting my 4.6 swap

Started by canadian_ranchero, 2014-11-30 13:20

Previous topic - Next topic

gasman826

One of my throttle body vehicles requires a through cleaning from time to time.  There's are throttle body cleaner spray much like carb cleaner.

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2016-11-13 17:48
wow, all kinds of new stuff here. Firstly, I thought the idle was a computer function, I had no idea there was an idle adjustment on the throttle body. second...idle air motor??? what is that all about and where is it?
I may have misspoke or wasn't clear about my idle issue....it doesn't make any difference what the engine temp is...hot or cold, it'll idle fine for about a minute at about 1k rpm then drop the rpm down to about 600. that's when the loping starts. So, with that said, and keeping in mind I can drive down the street at 30mph in second gear without my foot on the gas at the 1k idle speed, I'm not sure adjusting the idle is going to help or be something I want to do. I need to find out why it is dropping to the 600 after that minute or so. Just sounds to me like something beyond or other than an idle speed adjustment.
you have a base idle setting on the throttle body and the idle air motor[computer controled]controls the idle speed[and fast idle] from there.when you first start the engine it goes to fast idle[about 1k]then as the engine warms up it goes to a slower warm idle speed.if that is too slow the computer will try adjusting the speed. it may lop/hunt/stall when doing this.that is why i think you should try clean the idle system/throttle body.the idle air motor is bolted to the intake beside the throttle body[pass side at the back]hope this helps

RICH MUISE

I've been wondering if you received the idle kit?
I've been trying to get a bathroom remodel done before our guests arrive for Christmas week, so I haven't had a chance to fiddle with mine yet. I did order a new idle air valve/motor and gasket which I got today, and a new throttle position sensor being sent from a different warehouse, so I won't get that until maybe next week, and I picked up a can of throttle body cleaner.
After I clean the throttle body and install the new parts, I'll clean the engine codes off, and disconnect the power to the computer and then put it thru a run at idle for two minutes in Park, run at two minutes in gear, and run for two minutes in gear with the A/C on. That's suppose to force the computer to relearn the engine idle info.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

canadian_ranchero

the car is in the garage for the winter.i have about 4-5 inches of snow and the temp tonight -25c[-10f].so not sure when i mite get the idle kit in [maybe at xmas time]

RICH MUISE

Ouch. I won't bitch about it getting down to the 20's the past few nights. I hate that winter is on us. It is suppose to be in the high 60's for the weekend though...maybe i need to sneak in a road trip.
I got my throttle position sensor in today. After looking at pics of 4.6's to figure out exactly where it was, I'm not sure I can get to it in the car.....may need or be easier to to remove the throttle body with it attached....foresee any problems or stuff to watch for doing that.? One You Tube video I watched the mechanic preferred to clean the throttle bodies out of the car anyways.
I think the circled part is the throttle position sensor?

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2016-12-08 00:30
Ouch. I won't bitch about it getting down to the 20's the past few nights. I hate that winter is on us. It is suppose to be in the high 60's for the weekend though...maybe i need to sneak in a road trip.
I got my throttle position sensor in today. After looking at pics of 4.6's to figure out exactly where it was, I'm not sure I can get to it in the car.....may need or be easier to to remove the throttle body with it attached....foresee any problems or stuff to watch for doing that.? One You Tube video I watched the mechanic preferred to clean the throttle bodies out of the car anyways.
I think the circled part is the throttle position sensor?you are correct that is the throttle position sensor.if you pull off the throttle body make sure you put on a new gasket.also clean the air bypass hole in the throttle body[small hole between the 2 butterflies]hope this helps

RICH MUISE

Yeah, thanks. I'm sure you probably said, but when you wired your car up, did you modify/reflash the computer?
Between you, me and my local friend with a 4.6 dohc in a '36 Chevy coupe, I think we approached the wiring 3 different ways, yet we all have basically the same idling issue. So far the only common ground I see is that all three of us eliminated the back two O2 sensors, only utilizing the front two. My friend really likes the fact that it rock and rolls in idle sounding like a racing cam. I don't really mind it, but I'm concerned it may get worse, so that's why I'm trying to chase down the cause, or at least eliminate some potential causes.

canadian_ranchero

pre 1996[OBD1] only used the front 02 sensers,did not use back sensers[OBD2 did].i did not touch the computer,it is from a 93 mark.i am sure you have checked for vacuum leaks and air leaks between the mass air and the throttle body.mine does not stall or idle poorly.it is idling a little faster than i would like and seems slow to come off fast idle

RICH MUISE

I guess I misunderstood what your idle issue was, and now I understand why you picked up that kit. A fast idle in these cars is not real good...mine isn't especially fast at about 1k, but I can drive down a street with a 30mph speed limit without having my foot on the gas pedal.

61ford

Hi guys. I have been enjoying following the posts on the 4.6 swaps. If you don't mind I would like to ask a question. I installed 4.6 in a 61 Galaxie and have been driving the car this summer. I used a Ron Francis harness. Tranny shifts great but I keep getting a PO 500 code...VSS sensor. As per Ron Francis suggestions I replaced the VSS sensor and ran new wires to panel to eliminate interference. Still get code. Any of you guys have a similar issue? Francis seems to be out of ideas. I wonder about a programming issue?
Thanks!

canadian_ranchero

if it was mine i would get a break out box[ford service tool]and test the sensor and wiring

61ford

Ok. I think you are suggesting to check voltage from sensor when it is rotating and at panel?

canadian_ranchero

you say wires hooked to panel?the vss sensor wires are hooked to the computer.and yes check vss output when output shaft is moving

61ford

OK will check voltage. With Ron Francis kit, the VSS sensor wires run to a panel where they connect to the computer wires. The panel is more of a "terminal end" board. Wires from the sensors connect to one side of the panel and the wires from the computer connect to the opposite side of the panel. Its just a way for the new wires from the kit to connect to the factory style plug that goes into the computer.

canadian_ranchero

make sure the vss wires are hooked to the correct terminals on the computer