News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Rear leaf spring bushings

Started by jvo, 2014-12-05 12:48

Previous topic - Next topic

jvo

Can anyone tell me what the rear leaf spring bushing parts numbers for a 57 Fairlane are, please?  My local energy suspension dealer can't cross reference any part numbers.  Will the poly bushings squeak?  If so, I'll try to find some NOS rubber bushings that won't smell like Chinese rubber. 
I have searched google and ebay and everywhere else I can think of, and have not come up with anything solid yet.  Anyone got any original equipment numbers or Moog numbers that I can reference to see if they are the same size as F150 or anything else?  How about actual sizes and dimensions of the shackle bushings, and front leaf spring bushings?  Thanks.
I have the Fairlane up on the rotisserie and am presently doing inner rockers and body mounts, then need to rebuild the frame and suspension, so I can put it back on the frame and whack it all apart to put the Ranchero body parts on the Fairlane floor pan.
I have all the front suspension pieces on the way.  Also, somewhere I remember a reference to a Chevy Yukon rear sway bar swap.  I can find those parts at the local pic a part, if it looks like a good swap.   I'll update the build as soon as I have something interesting to show.  Thanks.
If I could roll back the years, back when I was young and limber, loose as ashes in the wind, had no irons in the fire.... wish I'd done things different, but wishin' don't make it so. ( Ian Tyson)

clusterbuster

I bought the rear spring shackles for my 57 that includes the bushings. I bought them from Mac's, part# 49-44273-1. They fit years 1951-1960. $12.95 ea.

jvo

Thanks.  I looked at Mac's, but that number doesn't cross over to any OEM number that I could find.  I'd like to find some rubber that isn't made in China.  I don't like any rubber products from there.  I find the smell very offensive, and anything that is left out in the sun seems to deteriorate rather quickly as well.  If I could find some OEM numbers, I could more than likely find some NOS rubbers on ebay.  Thanks.
If I could roll back the years, back when I was young and limber, loose as ashes in the wind, had no irons in the fire.... wish I'd done things different, but wishin' don't make it so. ( Ian Tyson)

hiball3985

Are you looking for the front of the spring or the ones for the shackle? I bought Chinese for the front's and they lasted less then 6 months. Then I bought some polyurethane ones that were close and machined them down to fit as I couldn't find any exact replacements..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

jvo

Looking for both the front spring eye, and the shackle bushings also.  Would definitely like the poly bushings, as long as they don't squeak.  How do yours sound? 

hiball3985

Quote from: jvo on 2014-12-05 21:44
Looking for both the front spring eye, and the shackle bushings also.  Would definitely like the poly bushings, as long as they don't squeak.  How do yours sound?
I've only done the front eye, no squeaks that I can hear so far. I still have rubber in the shackles.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Partsman

As per the Ford Parts Catalog: rear spring and shackle bushing part #A9AZ-5781-A this is for both the spring eye and shackle brkt on the frame. Also rear shackle kit including bushings and shackle is COAZ-5630-B.  Front eye bushing is MG-5781-A or AJ-5781-B also the front bushing is mounted in a steel sleeve and the assy is # B7A-5630-C.  These numbers fit 57-59 57-59 Fords but may also fit some 60's.

jvo

Okay, thanks a lot for that info.  I guess I should have done this sooner.  We have a spring shop here in Lethbridge that has been in business for longer than I have been alive.  I just got back from there.  Took them a spring and a shackle, and they went over to the parts bin and picked the bushings off the shelves.  I got a couple Harris silent bloc front spring eye bushings, with either 191119 or 611161 on it, depending on whether you hold it upside down or not. 
Googled them, and they seem to be TRW, made in Mexico, maybe.  A bunch of GM parts come up with Harris silent bloc on them also.  Good news is that they smell like real rubber, not that stinky stuff from China. 
Rear shackle bushings also.  He charged me $29.00 for all 10 bushings. 
Just in case anyone else needs this info, I measured the new bushings.  The front ones are 1 3/8 outside diameter on the outside of the metal sleeve.  Width of the actual bushing is two inches, with about 3/32 inch of rubber protruding out each side of the metal sleeve.  The inner metal sleeve has a 7/16 inch hole in it for the mounting bolt, and it is 2 15/32 inches wide overall. 
Rear shackle bushings have a 1/2 inch hole for the shackle bushing.  Outer diameter of large end of rubber bushing is 31/32 inch, and smaller diameter is 27/32 inches.  Overal length of each bushing is about 1 1/8 inches. 
They told me these bushings should have just the right amount of "squish" when mounted in the shackles.
Once I have the Ranchero springs tore off, I will take them to the spring shop where they will clean them, install new centre bolts and push the new front bushings into the main leaves.  Thanks for everyone's help.

Lucky'57

Probably too little too late but I just did mine here in Alberta. Found the rear leaf (rear) rubber bushings (8 each) at NAPA (#274-8860), same as "62 Falcon. The front bushing is a little harder to find, NAPA didn't even have it listed. Anyway I found a set at City Spring in Edmonton (RB Bushing #RB047). They found six in British Columbia (???), i've got two on the way. I'll post the manufacture when the arrive in a couple days. Fronts are $12 each, the rears were $3.25 a pair. It appears that they are "assembled in the USA" so that must take a little of the stink off of 'em. LOL
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

Jeff Norwell

When I ordered my rear HD springs from McViegh's(thanks Rich!) they came with rear bushings,I am now not sure if I got the front bushings with it.I will have to check.All is packed away at the moment.
But good info here on this thread.

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

rmk57

I machined mine from aluminum. I built my own Caltracs and they specify aluminum spring bushings. Metal supermarket didn't have 1 3/8 bar in stock so I used
1 1/2 and machined it down. Then used 5/8 od by 1/2 id DOM tube for the insert.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Lucky'57

Just to finalize, the front bushings for the rear springs came in and they are as JVO described (Part # RB047 @City Spring in Edmonton). Also a pic of the shackle bushings from NAPA.

Also found those little round squeak pads on the Ebay for $13 -

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1957-1958-1959-57-58-59-FORD-REAR-ANTI-SQUEEK-PAD-LEAF-SPRING-X12-/191050567984?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c7b805130&vxp=mtr
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got - Henry Ford (1863-1947)