News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Distributor ID

Started by DanTudor57, 2014-12-10 01:42

Previous topic - Next topic

DanTudor57

I picked up three distributors this weekend at the  Pomona swap meet.

Two of these are holley, one has dual points, the other does not -- at least not installed. I haven't really looked at these closely and only been googling the numbers  found on them. Nothing conclusive out there about these, both are   model 1400, one also has serial 1936-s and ID 1A4, while the other is serial number 1935-s and ID 173.

My main interest is the Ford dizzy. The model number has been rubbed off (!?), and it looks rebuilt.  The only numbers is has left are 27, H 7b1 -- this is not the model number.. It is has the tach port and dual points. It doesn't look like a YBlock dizzy, but is is almost identically proportioned. The teeth count and size are identical to the yblock. Anyone have any idea what this for dizzy might be for?

lowrider

That's a 57 yblock dist. Has straight advance arm, aftermarket DynaFlite dual point, ball bearing replacement point plate. Had one of those in my yblock until I went to a Duraspark system. Worked good. I could definitely tell the difference over the single point set up. Make sure the plate still moves, the ball bearings sometimes seize up.

hiball3985

Too bad the numbers are missing. The only tach drives I know of were in Tbirds and large trucks, and it's not a Yblock type so I'm just guessing it may have been from an early FE or Y Lincoln type motor that were used in the large trucks? The dual points are on an aftermarket breaker plate, those were used by a lot of hot rodders and made for many different cars..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

Lynn

SkylinerRon

7B1 is the date code  Feb 1, 1957.

Ron.

DanTudor57

Ron, based on that date code... sounds like this is not FE. Didn't the FE series start in '58?

The next option is a Lincoln Y block??

lalessi1

Maybe an FE prototype? Surely Ford would real world test a new design prior to production release. This is my FE distibutor. The Lincoln Y block had a canted rear distributor, hard to imagine these distributors would be so similar.
Lynn