News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Ford-O-Matic vs Cruise-O-Matic

Started by Acrylic man, 2014-12-17 08:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Acrylic man

I'm new to the group! I'm glad I found you, this has already been wealth of information every minute I've spent reading after a lot of great guys experience, what to do and not to do.....
I have a question I have a 57 Ford Fairlane 500 Victoria, 2Dr HT, 312cid, And it seems by the code I have a Cruse-O-Matic,   Whats the different between a  Ford-O-Matic and Cruse-O-Matic ?
Is one more desirable than the other one, and why? I'm just starting my rebuild, with the 57Fordsforever.com
I feel more comfortable and confident, knowing there's support like you Guy's. 
1957 Fairlane 500 Club Victoria 2dr HT

lalessi1

I did a quick search online. There was only the Ford-O-Matic available in 1957. On the VIN Tag it would show a "3" for transmission type. The Ford-O-Matic evolved into the Cruise-O-Matic in 1958. It came as an MX (larger) or FX (smaller). I don't know if this info is 100% correct...you know how the internet is. I am a manual tranny guy myself. Welcome to the forum!
Lynn

gasman826

FordoMatic is a 3 speed that starts in second gear (D) and shifts once into third gear automatically.  First gear is used manually by shifting selector into low (L).  In drive (D), a properly adjusted FordOMatic may shift to low under WOT.  FordOMatic has a rear pump and can be push started...should not be towed at speed without disconnecting the driveshaft.

CruisOMatic was introduced behind the FEs in '58.  CruisOMatic has three selections...gears 123, 2-3, and 1.  No rear pump.  Will not push start.  Will interchange with a FordOMatic if Y-block bell, converter, and flex plate are used.  Will require shift selector modifications.

Acrylic man

Sorry for the delay in getting back, thanks for the info.  I think I might have a Cruise-O-Matic,  It looks like this 57 might of came off the assembly line, about the time the 58 were starting up. (This is just my thinking). because here is the body plate information:   

*D7DV140555*.
Body: 63A.  Color: YE2.  Trim: AT.  Production code : 19M 2096D

D - 8Cyl. 312 C. I. D.  OHV - 4V Carb-Auto 245 HP.
7 - year 1957
D - Dallas. Assembly Plant.
V - Body Style Victoria - Fairlane "500"

D - rear axle 3.89 to 1  locking
6 - Cruise-O-Matic ( 3 spd. dual range)
63A - Fairlane "500" Club Victoria
AT - Black Vinyl & Gold Ripple-Wave Fabric.

SkylinerRon

There are problems with your data plate.
"D" code axle is 1959 not earlier. No Equa-Loks made before 59.
"6" code is 1958 up only (actually C-O-M's were in short
supply and some 58's got the 57 3sp Fordo).
The 57 steering column doesn't work with cruiso.
140xxx seems like a low number for an end of the year car even
from Dallas.
Is your car Inca Gold w/a White top?

Ron.

Acrylic man

Ron,  right now the color is the Dresden blue, colonial white, blue top. Someone repainted along the way. I don't really like the gold/white combo, but I'll put it back that way. 
I don't know about the data plate, that's what it says on the plate, here's a picture. I must have a prototype of something that was coming! 

lalessi1

Acrylic man, that looks like it could be an aftermarket VIN plate to me.... here is a picture of mine. The Ford logos are slightly different to boot.
Lynn

Acrylic man

Wow,  I've not seen that.  Do you think the different plants had different plates, or were they all standard plant wide?

Acrylic man

The patent numbers are the same on both plates.
I've seen the stars* before on other plates, if I remember correctly.

Lgcustom

Acrylic Man, I have a 70A, also built at Dallas. My patent plate format is identical to yours. Is it possible that various plants had different formats?

lalessi1

I really don't know. The rivets are right but the format on the build is confusing and then there's the logo thing. Who knows what Ford did or does....
Lynn

hiball3985

At 57Ford.com they show both styles of plates. Acrylic mans is the early style. Maybe they were made from what was left over from 56?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Acrylic man

Thanks for all the imput, I can't figure out all the later feature, like the C-O-M. & rear end,   I wonder what the 58 fords data plates looks like?  If the end of 56 plates were used, then all the upgrades I can't put it together.

Acrylic man

Hiball,  I saw the 56's they do look like my 57,  the 58's I didn't see anything their.

SkylinerRon

That is an early 57 data plate. Mid 57 up are all the same, plant doesn't matter.
Looks like car was built on Dec 19, 1956
I don't have the info handy to decode the trans and
axle codes on the early tags.
Best guess 3sp Fordo & 3.10 axle.

Ron.